1. Win32Lib and IDE

Please pardon me if I ask the obvious but ... I need to migrate to Eu4 (I expect no arguments there). I am a user of Win32Lib and the IDE. The only Win32Lib I can see for Eu4 is the one Mike did a while back, and there was a modified IDE which would work with Eu4, but I can find no links to either. I know Derek is allegedly going to be maintaining them both, and wondered if I could get a link to the latest issue of each. Does anyone (I suppose mainly you, Derek) have these in a usable state?

I am going to install Eu4 etc in a virtual PC in my Win7 machine so I can get to grips with this latest all-singing-all-dancing Euphoria without compromising all my existing stuff. So, Gentlemen, can you help?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

... wondered if I could get a link to the latest issue of each ...

Win32lib

IDE (However I'm not sure about this version. I'll test it out tonight. )

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

Win32lib

IDE (However I'm not sure about this version. I'll test it out tonight. )

Thanks Derek. I got the lib but the IDE is (allegedly) the 1.04 dated 2008 which was before Eu4 lived. There was an IDE produced which did run under Eu4 but it had some "funnies"; anyway I lost it when I changed computers. So I wait with bated breath!

4. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

Thanks Derek. I got the lib but the IDE is (allegedly) the 1.04 dated 2008 which was before Eu4 lived. There was an IDE produced which did run under Eu4 but it had some "funnies"; anyway I lost it when I changed computers.

It turns out that the IDE 1.04 has one line of code that isn't compatible with the Win32lib. When I fixed up that line, it compiled just fine. I'm doing some testing of it now under Eu4 and its looking good so far. I'll post an updated ZIP file to sourceforge in the next day or so.

AndyDrummond said...

So I wait with bated breath!

Have you tried Listerine?

5. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

I have an archive of working Eu4+Win32Lib+IDE files at http://www.usingeuphoria.com/. See the January 2011 entry. That might be helpful until Derek gets all things Win32Lib sorted out.

6. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

euphoric said...

I have an archive of working Eu4+Win32Lib+IDE files at http://www.usingeuphoria.com/. See the January 2011 entry. That might be helpful until Derek gets all things Win32Lib sorted out.

Just in my defense smile, the problems are with the IDE code and not Eu4 or Win32lib.

I'm making changes to the IDE now to remove it's assumptions about where Euphoria and its components live etc ...

7. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

Just in my defense smile, the problems are with the IDE code and not Eu4 or Win32lib.

Agreed. The IDE is a dangerous monster. Backup often. :)

8. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

euphoric said...

Agreed. The IDE is a dangerous monster. Backup often. :)

I might take offence at that - on Judith's behalf. I have used IDE for ten years, and love it to bits. Yeah, OK, so it may not be bug free but then nor is Windows 7 - nor is Eu4, I suspect. Different levels maybe. If Derek is going through it and cleaning it up for Eu4 use, that's great. In the meantime I will get the IDE from usingeuphoria.com. I really want to be able to churn out code in Eu4 (which has a huge number of exciting advances) as easily as I do in Eu3.

Why is it that these days software falls into two camps. The smaller is the set of programs that DO things; databases, compilers, you name it. The larger set is just that which lets computers talk to each other. It seems a grossly inefficient proportion, IMHO. I guess that's how life is these days. I look forward to getting IDE going again with Eu4 and using these new (not so new now) features.

9. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

I might take offence at that - on Judith's behalf.

I would too, except I think Judith would agree with me. :)

AndyDrummond said...

I have used IDE for ten years, and love it to bits.

I have used it for a long time and contributed much to its early development and later use. I appreciate its utility in developing Win32Lib programs and rarely do I ever not use it in that situation.

AndyDrummond said...

Yeah, OK, so it may not be bug free but then nor is Windows 7 - nor is Eu4, I suspect.

There are actually many different very nasty bugs, none of which I've documented but all of which have caused me to, at times, want to pull my hair at (at the least) to want to commit suicide (a loss of years of work- literally- except I found a backup after discovering my backup system wasn't actually backing up like I wanted it too... *whew*).

Again, I use the IDE almost every day, on significantly large projects (many windows, etc.); therefore, I know its flaws well. I'm just saying, as a PSA, you have to be careful. ;)

10. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

euphoric said...

I'm just saying, as a PSA, you have to be careful. ;)

Just curious, what did you mean by PSA? I found http://www.acronymfinder.com/PSA.html which helpfully states at the bottom they have another 250 possible meanings in their attic blink

Pete

11. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

petelomax said...
euphoric said...

I'm just saying, as a PSA, you have to be careful. ;)

Just curious, what did you mean by PSA? I found http://www.acronymfinder.com/PSA.html which helpfully states at the bottom they have another 250 possible meanings in their attic blink

Public Service Announcement

Basically, like an ad you get on TV, where instead of pushing a product, they preach at you to eat your vegetables or not to smoke or something.

PSA said...

This is your program. This is your program on IDE.

Matt

12. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

euphoric said...

There are actually many different very nasty bugs, none of which I've documented but all of which have caused me to, at times, want to pull my hair at (at the least) to want to commit suicide (a loss of years of work- literally- except I found a backup after discovering my backup system wasn't actually backing up like I wanted it too... *whew*).

Again, I use the IDE almost every day, on significantly large projects (many windows, etc.); therefore, I know its flaws well. I'm just saying, as a PSA, you have to be careful. ;)

OK, yes, there are several points where it collapses in a heap. However, being of a cautious nature, I wrote a program called VC (in contribs, I think) which I run on startup every morning. This keeps a track of every version of every source file in my system, tagged by date & time & comment (if one is offered). Thus if I foul up a program I can retrieve that mornings effort, or the code from any previous time. I find not only does IDE occasionally foul up, well, so do I. And when I have pulled out my hair trying to see why my code has gone all wierd - or even weird - I can get back to the last working effort. The VC files are backed up on our NAS, and the NAS backs up with Amazon. And I use Dropbox too - belt & braces! So - I have gone ten years without the loss of a source file due to IDE, me, disk drives crashing (that has happened too) or anything else.

That makes up for any nasties in IDE. If Derek ever manages to sort it out and clear the bugs, which would be a mammoth task, I should be very happy. But the bugs don't, as they say, bug me. I just love the simplicity and ease of use of IDE, and if only Microsoft would learn something from it that would be good.

13. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

After my recent near-tragedy, I've put all my company's source code in a Mercurial repo on a server, which gets backed up constantly, and I use a clone repo on my desktop. So now I'm all comfy and secure going forward... Highly recommended! :D

(I'm also looking into the new wxIDE stuff Matt's releasing. I would love to be able to use wxEuphoria for all my windowed projects... hint hint.)

14. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...
euphoric said...

I'm making changes to the IDE now to remove it's assumptions about where Euphoria and its components live etc ...

I just tried that IDE - yes, it runs, but when I entered the config for IDE, all the text prompts we solid black rectangles. Now it may be that the Win32Lib which Derek offered is not as good as the one (which appears to be older) in your site, O Euphoric One, I've not tried that. But nonetheless it runs. Very slow to start, I'll need to bind it otherwise I could go for a rest break while it is loading.
A good start though. It certainly allows a program to be created and run, though I have only tried a Noddy program.

15. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Sorry for dropping in ...

the only changes i made on ide for my eu4.0.2, where this exePathName=whereEu & "
bin
exw.exe"

Tone Skoda mydiff exePathName="c:
euphoria40
bin
euiw.exe"

Starts with line 16037 in ide.exw

If i run it with the interpreter i have the same problems with this black bars, seems they come from the Windows Themes. I compiled it, (without Manifest) and it works okay.

For me, i think adding a dialog that let's the user changes the interpreter (3.x or 4.x or later maybe 5.x) would be a better solutiom than letting the IDE assuming what you like to use.

Andreas

16. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Sorry, i should have used the preview option

--  exePathName=whereEu & "\\bin\\exw.exe" 
    --Tone Skoda  
-- mydiff 
    exePathName="c:\\euphoria40\\bin\\euiw.exe" 

starts with line 16037 in ide.exw

17. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

andi49 said...

For me, i think adding a dialog that let's the user changes the interpreter (3.x or 4.x or later maybe 5.x) would be a better solutiom than letting the IDE assuming what you like to use.

That's more or less what I've just done. In the config dialog, there is now a place to say where your Euphoria lives. This can be either pointing to Eu3 or Eu4, it doesn't matter to the IDE now.

I'll upload my changes to sourceforge later today.

18. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

I've uploaded a modifed IDE onto my personal server for now, until I get some feedback on its quality.

You can download the IDE zip file, which includes a pre-compiled version (ide.exe).

The main change is a new configuration option in which you can tell the IDE where Euphoria is located. This is meant to be a path to a folder than contains a sub-folder called "bin" which in turn contains the Euphoria executable. If the IDE finds "bin\exwc.exe" it assumes you are going to use Eu3, and if it finds "bin\eui.exe" it assumes you are going to use Eu4 or later.

If it finds neither, it will display a message saying so.

Note to translators: the text of messages 12 and 13 have changed.

This is really my first look at changing any of the IDE code and I can see now that really does need a good "spring clean".

Also, if anyone knows of specific bugs, please let me know of them.

19. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Hi

Running the executable - fine.

Running the ide.exw - got the message 'You have remove English.lng - IDE cannot continue.' It is there in the Language folder.

Chris

20. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

ChrisB said...

Hi Running the ide.exw - got the message 'You have remove English.lng - IDE cannot continue.' It is there in the Language folder.

I'm sorry Chris, but I can't reproduce this problem. I've tried a lot of different combinations but it always works. Can you give me details of exactly how you got this message and such things as which Euphoria you are using? What is your EUDIR and EUINC environment vars set to? Does it matter if you run the ide.exe first or second? Does it happen regardless of what your current directory is at start up? Are you using an existing IDE.CFG file or are you using the default settings? etc ...

21. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...
ChrisB said...

Hi Running the ide.exw - got the message 'You have remove English.lng - IDE cannot continue.' It is there in the Language folder.

I'm sorry Chris, but I can't reproduce this problem. I've tried a lot of different combinations but it always works. Can you give me details of exactly how you got this message and such things as which Euphoria you are using? What is your EUDIR and EUINC environment vars set to? Does it matter if you run the ide.exe first or second? Does it happen regardless of what your current directory is at start up? Are you using an existing IDE.CFG file or are you using the default settings? etc ...

Hi

Sorry ran this at home, and am at work now, so will try again when I get home. Running the interpreted one (ie long time before getting the error message) is very slow, but the compiled one is lightning fast.

Chris

22. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

I've uploaded a modifed IDE onto my personal server for now, until I get some feedback on its quality.

You can download the IDE zip file, which includes a pre-compiled version (ide.exe).

The main change is a new configuration option in which you can tell the IDE where Euphoria is located. This is meant to be a path to a folder than contains a sub-folder called "bin" which in turn contains the Euphoria executable. If the IDE finds "bin\exwc.exe" it assumes you are going to use Eu3, and if it finds "bin\eui.exe" it assumes you are going to use Eu4 or later.

This is really my first look at changing any of the IDE code and I can see now that really does need a good "spring clean".

Thanks Derek. I loaded EuIDE as normal and the executable runs like lightning - as expected - but it says it can't find a version of Euphoria. It points to C:\Euphoria\bin in the modified options, which is where it is, so what have I done wrong? I just installed Eu4 from the install file, so I assumed it created anything I needed. Curiously the previous version of IDE ran, and ran code, so what is going on? Any ideas.

On a positive note, I use Euphoria because it is a superb language but also because of this forum; you guys are all so helpful and knowledgeable.... (flattery should get me anywhere, they say).

23. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Andy:

check ' eu.cfg ' in euphoria bin directory it maybe overriding the include
directory that you have set in eudir. I think you have to use one or the
other not both.

24. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...
DerekParnell said...

Thanks Derek. I loaded EuIDE as normal and the executable runs like lightning - as expected - but it says it can't find a version of Euphoria. It points to C:\Euphoria\bin in the modified options, which is where it is, so what have I done wrong? I just installed Eu4 from the install file, so I assumed it created anything I needed. Curiously the previous version of IDE ran, and ran code, so what is going on? Any ideas.

On a positive note, I use Euphoria because it is a superb language but also because of this forum; you guys are all so helpful and knowledgeable.... (flattery should get me anywhere, they say).

Read again what I've said above, particularly "This is meant to be a path to a folder than contains a sub-folder called "bin" which in turn contains the Euphoria executable".

Set the "Location of Euphoria" to C:\Euphoria and see if that makes a difference.

25. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

ChrisB said...
DerekParnell said...
ChrisB said...

Hi

Sorry ran this at home, and am at work now, so will try again when I get home. Running the interpreted one (ie long time before getting the error message) is very slow, but the compiled one is lightning fast.

Chris

Hi

I ran these at work, and they both worked, so I tried again at home, and got the same .lng error message.

Here's the requested info

EUINC c:\euphoria\include;c:\euphoria\win32lib\include 
EUDIR = c:\euphoria 

Euphoria Interpreter 4.0.0 development (r4618M) for Windows 
Using Managed Memory 
(press any key and window will close ...) 

Directory of C:\EUPHORIA\euide 

25/06/2011  20:32    <DIR>          . 
25/06/2011  20:32    <DIR>          .. 
25/06/2011  08:07    <DIR>          Backups 
04/07/2008  11:32           123,969 ColoredButtons.ew 
22/06/2011  23:36            10,965 convertIDEcfg.exw 
25/06/2011  20:32                 0 dir.txt 
25/06/2011  08:07    <DIR>          Docs 
25/06/2011  00:11            90,138 Editor.exw 
25/06/2011  20:31                 0 euiver.txt 
25/06/2011  08:08    <DIR>          Files 
16/07/2008  06:52            36,915 FList.ew 
25/06/2011  14:22         1,116,672 ide.exe 
25/06/2011  14:12           878,330 IDE.exw 
25/06/2011  08:07    <DIR>          Includes 
03/07/2008  09:13             2,891 Irregular.ew 
25/06/2011  08:07    <DIR>          Languages 
25/06/2011  08:07    <DIR>          ReleaseNotes 
25/06/2011  08:07    <DIR>          Resources 
29/06/2008  15:43             5,342 winlibscan.exw 
              10 File(s)      2,265,222 bytes 
               9 Dir(s)  93,639,974,912 bytes free 

Does the ide.cfg need to be in this folder - its currently in the Files folder.

Just going to try to update the eubins, see if that makes a difference.

Chris

Update - nope, that didn't work, got a type check error in machine.e running another program, so back to the above ones.

Incidentally, there isn't a windows install on the download Euphoria page.

26. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

Read again what I've said above, particularly "This is meant to be a path to a folder than contains a sub-folder called "bin" which in turn contains the Euphoria executable".

Set the "Location of Euphoria" to C:\Euphoria and see if that makes a difference.

What? You expect me to READ these emails too? Sorry, Derek, but yes you were quite right. You did say that, and I have set that location into IDE, and yes it runs cheerfully. But I had to copy the win32lib include files into the general euphoria include folder because I have too idle thus far to sort out reading the docs and seeing how I should tell euphoria about multiple include paths.

But thanks, you have got me doing what I want and I shall now start playing (aka learning) with euphoria 4 and seeing what everyone has been enthusing about. I will now install euphoria4 in C:\euphoria4 folder in my host machine (not the virtual one) and thus be able to run Eu3 and Eu4 in the same environment. I gather Eu4 doesn't care about the environment variables like EuInc or EuDir, am I right? In which case no contention should arise.

Thanks also to you other guys who have offered code; I can't use them all, now one works I shall be happy as a pig in whatever it is pigs are happy in!

27. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

No, I can't make euphoria look in c:\euphoria\win32lib\include. I created Eu.cfg in c:\euphoria, and put in a single line which is that include path. The docs say that anything before a tag is deemed to be in [all], and that anything other than the defined strings is assumed to be an include path and its value is prepended with -I and added to the command line. I removed the win32lib files from the normal include file and the program always quits saying it can't find things in a standard list of paths which does NOT include c:\euphoria\win32lib\include. So - sorry guys - what have I done wrong THIS time?

28. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

No, I can't make euphoria look in c:\euphoria\win32lib\include.

Ok, I'm assuming that you have v3 install in c:\euphoria and v4 installed in c:\euphoria4, and you have the win32lib include files installed c:\euphoria\win32lib\include.

In that case, then in the SAME folder that contains eui.exe (the version 4 executable),i.e. c:\euphoria4\bin, create a file called "eu.cfg" and have it look like this ...

-- Euphoria version 4 includes. 
c:\euphoria4\include 

-- Win32lib library includes. 
c:\euphoria\win32lib\include 

29. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

ChrisB said...

Does the ide.cfg need to be in this folder - its currently in the Files folder.

Yes, the ide.cfg file is expected to be in the Files folder. Are you sure that the file English.lng exists in the Languages folder?

If it does, then try renaming the ide.cfg file to "ide.xcfg" just to hide for the moment (I'm assuming that "IDEFirstTime.cfg" already exists in the "Files" folder). Now run the IDE again and see what happens.

The only way I can get the same error message to occur is when I remove the "English.lng" file.

30. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Hi

Heres a curious thing for you.

I change line 178 of ide.exw from

d=dir(the_current_dir & "\\Languages")

to

d=dir(the_current_dir & "\\Languages\\*.*")

and it worked.

Yet it worked fine on another machine without the change - could this be because I'm using a slightly older revision of eui?

Chris

31. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

ChrisB said...

... could this be because I'm using a slightly older revision of eui?

Maybe, but I'd be surprised. I believe the feature in which when a directory name is supplied to dir() it actually lists all the contents of a directory, thus the "*.*" is not actually needed, has been in Eu4 for quite awhile now.

In any case, I did find a potential bug that might have caused this error message for you; a constant that I thought was global is actually declared twice (in different files) as local, but with different values. Also, one of the tests for the English language file uses a case-sensitive compare, which is not appropriate on Windows systems.

I'll post an update shortly.

32. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

The new trial version of the IDE is ready for download

33. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...
AndyDrummond said...

No, I can't make euphoria look in c:\euphoria\win32lib\include.

Ok, I'm assuming that you have v3 install in c:\euphoria and v4 installed in c:\euphoria4, and you have the win32lib include files installed c:\euphoria\win32lib\include.

In that case, then in the SAME folder that contains eui.exe (the version 4 executable),i.e. c:\euphoria4\bin, create a file called "eu.cfg" and have it look like this ...

-- Euphoria version 4 includes. 

-- Win32lib library includes. 
c:\euphoria\win32lib\include 

OK, I did that. I decided that I would keep the Eu4 Win32Lib (maybe the same as Eu3, now) in Euphoria4, so changed the above to reflect that. Then my Noddy project (just a pushbutton) failed because wildcard.e was not found. That lives in include\std, so I added THAT to the above list of includes. THEN it crashed with lots of errors in the libraries:

c:\euphoria4\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew:26285 
<0074>:: Errors resolving the following references: 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (706): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1420): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1428): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1439): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1497): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1529): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1584): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1640): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1651): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1662): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1888): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (1954): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2014): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2036): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2073): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2099): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2110): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2112): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2115): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2130): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2149): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2150): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2151): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2169): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2197): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2199): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2201): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2233): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2245): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2273): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2494): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (2908): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32xpm.ew (262): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32resources.ew (3233): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\w32resources.ew (5236): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32file.ew (113): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32file.ew (234): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32file.ew (416): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\options.e (88): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\options.e (98): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\options.e (99): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\options.e (124): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\options.e (163): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\options.e (181): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\w32utils.e (634): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32msgs.e (329): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\w32msgs.e (332): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (4334): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (4336): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (9531): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (13492): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (13493): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (13740): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (13749): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (14152): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (21527): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (21527): lower 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (21817): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (21829): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (24186): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (24600): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (24726): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (26280): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (26285): upper 

w32ControlNames = append(w32ControlNames, upper(pControlName)) 
                                                   ^ 

That list seems rather tautologous, a feature I had thought was improved. However, it seems that the win32lib is not as Eu4 friendly as I'd hoped. This is the one I got from you, Derek, I believe. However, upper() and lower() are surely box-standard routines which live somewhere else and are (I'd expect) Eu4'ed.

Clearly I am getting somewhere with all your help, but it seems more arduous than I'd hoped. So may I ask you to be tolerant one more time and ask - why is this happening? I am coming in as a complete newbie to Euphoria4, having used Euphoria3 for ages, so I didn't expect this. Other newbies who are new to the whole concept will either find it even harder than me to sort out what to do, or they prove that I am a complete dork. I have no wish to accept the latter but you may feel otherwise!

34. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Andy:

The reason that you are getting this error is because eu4 has moved some functions
from some include files to other include files with different names.

( Upper and lower ) was located in eu3 include\wildcard.e
( Upper and lower ) are located in eu4 include\std\text.e

35. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

zebra said...

Andy:

The reason that you are getting this error is because eu4 has moved some functions
from some include files to other include files with different names.

( Upper and lower ) was located in eu3 include\wildcard.e
( Upper and lower ) are located in eu4 include\std\text.e

Thanks Zebra, but that isn't helping. Let me elucidate - for you, too, Derek.
I set the control-A of IDE to add that text.e to the project: it didn't add it to the project
I added an include line in the Window1 Intro field to include it, which it did, but that didn't help.
The generated exw file is this:

--  code generated by Win32Lib IDE v1.0.5a Build June-26-2011 

constant TheProgramType="exw"  

include Win32Lib.ew 
without warning 

include C:\euphoria4\include\std\text.e 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
--  Window Window1 
constant Window1 = createEx( Window, "Window1", 0, Default, Default, 400, 300, 0, 0 ) 
constant PushButton2 = createEx( PushButton, "PushButton2", Window1, 112, 112, 88, 28, 0, 0 ) 
--------------------------------------------------------- 
--------------------------------------------------------- 

WinMain( Window1,Normal ) 

Well, that program didn't include upper or lower; the failure is in IDE itself. And this is the bound executable version. So how do we account for that? I'm really sorry if I am causing problems, but this is a pretty fundamental thing it seems to me.
I'm sure when we get this sorted I can go on like mad, but not yet. Remember when I had the exw version it ran and I was very happy; but it was so slow it was intolerable. That was why I generated an executable of Judith's Eu3 IDE back when she alone had to put up with me! But that ended up very good - except, OK, for the bugs in it; but it worked straight out of the box. And that is what we need for newbies, it seems to me.

36. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

When I upgraded from EU 3 to EU 4, I used the latest pre-bound version of Judith's IDE. Then I made copies of some of the exe's and renamed them to be the same as in EU 3; for example eui.exe copied to ex.exe, euiw.exe copied to exw.exe, and eubind.exe copied to bindw.exe, that sort of thing. Then I installed the latest version of win32lib. Works fine. Right now I'm using it for some guest book programming for a couple of web sites.

37. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said: "That lives in include\std, so I added THAT to the above list of includes. "

IN EUPHRIA 4:\

There was a conflict between include files and include\std files.
On Matt's advice, I insisted on using include\std instead of include in files where I found reference to include folder and the file also was in include\std folder

This information is related to general use of Euphoria 4 on XP Prof. I don't use the IDE, so please do not misunderstand me.

38. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

FredRansom said...

When I upgraded from EU 3 to EU 4, I used the latest pre-bound version of Judith's IDE. Then I made copies of some of the exe's and renamed them to be the same as in EU 3; for example eui.exe copied to ex.exe, euiw.exe copied to exw.exe, and eubind.exe copied to bindw.exe, that sort of thing. Then I installed the latest version of win32lib. Works fine. Right now I'm using it for some guest book programming for a couple of web sites.

Fred, that sounds like it is sensible. I can use the EuVIDE as I have it for Eu3, but for Eu4 by renaming the Eu executables. Hmmm - sounds like it's going to work. I produced the executable IDE so it was not dependent on which Win32Lib was is use and I guess it should be independent of which Euphoria is in use. Thanks, I might just follow that route. Obvious really - but obvious things are never so until they're pointed out, are they?

I really wanted Derek's version so I could select which Euphoria I was going to use, and keep them both separate. But for now I can keep Eu4 in a virtual PC and let it be the only Eu there, as I have Eu3 in my host machine.

39. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

OK, I did that. I decided that I would keep the Eu4 Win32Lib (maybe the same as Eu3, now) in Euphoria4, so changed the above to reflect that. Then my Noddy project (just a pushbutton) failed because wildcard.e was not found. That lives in include\std, so I added THAT to the above list of includes. THEN it crashed with lots of errors in the libraries:

c:\euphoria4\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew:26285 
	..\win32lib\include\w32forms.ew (706): upper 
	..\win32lib\include\Win32Lib.ew (26285): upper 

w32ControlNames = append(w32ControlNames, upper(pControlName)) 
                                                   ^ 

That list seems rather tautologous, a feature I had thought was improved. However, it seems that the win32lib is not as Eu4 friendly as I'd hoped. This is the one I got from you, Derek, I believe. However, upper() and lower() are surely box-standard routines which live somewhere else and are (I'd expect) Eu4'ed.

It's better now in the sense that you get a list of all the typoed, unincluded, etc, symbols at once, rather than only the first that is found. I believe Shawn has improved this (for 4.0.4) so that a little more information is displayed when there are multiple candidates. Obviously, that's not the problem here.

AndyDrummond said...

Clearly I am getting somewhere with all your help, but it seems more arduous than I'd hoped. So may I ask you to be tolerant one more time and ask - why is this happening? I am coming in as a complete newbie to Euphoria4, having used Euphoria3 for ages, so I didn't expect this. Other newbies who are new to the whole concept will either find it even harder than me to sort out what to do, or they prove that I am a complete dork. I have no wish to accept the latter but you may feel otherwise!

First, a little background. As you've probably noticed, the standard library has gotten a lot bigger. This is a good thing, since it's much more powerful. However, it's also been reorganized a little. The legacy 3.0 standard library has been (mostly, except for some DOS specific stuff) kept so that 3.0 programs should generally continue to work with 4.0.

The best way to deal with these two is to use "include std/text.e" (or whatever) when using the 4.0 library, and, e.g., "include wildcard.e" when using the 3.0 library. I'm not sure what your copy of win32lib does, but it's pretty clear that it's not including std/text.e. Now, it's also important to understand that in order to use some standard library function in your code file, you should include the part of the standard library that you use in that file. In this case, while there are a lot of places where upper and lower are used, there are only a handful of files.

Also, you should be able to search for standard library functions in either your offline docs, or in the online manual. Each routine tells you how to include it. For example, the entry for upper:

8.21.1.9 upper

include std/text.e 
namespace text 
public function upper(object x) 

Matt

40. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Firstly, let me say that I've got Eu3 and various Eu4 and various win32lib versions installed on my system and it all just works using the normal installation. I'm not using any tricks etc... I haven't moved files around nor renamed executables.

Anyhow, let's see if I understand what you are saying ...

• You have Eu4 installed in c:\euphoria4
  • You have Eu3 installed in c:\euphoria
  • You have (only one) Win32lib and that is installed in c:\euphoria4
  • You have the eu.cfg file residing in c:\euphoria4\bin and it contains...

c:\euphoria4\win32lib\include 

• You are running the IDE downloaded from my site (v1.0.5a).
  • The file wildcard.e resides in c:\euphoria4\include
  • The file text.e resides in c:\euphoria4\include\std

Is all the above true?

Ok, win32lib does NOT use any include files from Eu4 yet. It still assumes that the "standard" euphoria library functions are in the normal place for Eu3, that is to say, win32lib uses include wildcard.e rather than include std\text.e. So therefore, to get the error message you showed here means that win32lib is not finding wildcard.e. We know that it is using the Eu4 executable (because of the format of the error message) and that would have been using the eu.cfg file to get a list of places to scan for include files.

In you message post you say "failed because wildcard.e was not found. That lives in include\std" which is NOT what I would have expected because wildcard.e is not supposed to be in include\std. So I'm a bit confused as to what you folders contain. Have you moved things around after installing Eu4?

41. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

Firstly, let me say that I've got Eu3 and various Eu4 and various win32lib versions installed on my system and it all just works using the normal installation. I'm not using any tricks etc... I haven't moved files around nor renamed executables.

I also have various versions installed. With the eu.cfg setup, and some symlinks, I can easily run something using 4.0.0/1/2/3. Basically, I put an eu.cfg file in each of the directories where the binaries are to point to the standard library that goes with that version. Then, in a directory that's in my $PATH, I put eui400, eui401, eui402, etc.

My "default" euphoria is a development version of 4.1, however.

Matt

42. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

I use the IDE and win32lib for just about everything I do in Euphoria 4. I use the config file that came with the installation, and set the following environment variables:
EUDIR=C:\Euphoria
EUINC=C:\Euphoria\include;C:\Euphoria\win32lib\include
PATH=C:\euphoria\bin
Nothing else. If I need something from include\std, I include it just before the routine in which I first need it, perhaps not the best style, but it works.

43. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

Many thanks, Gentlemen, for your advice. I think maybe I have messed up because I am running this on a virtual PC and there I simply installed Euphoria4. Initially in c:\euphoria, then I renamed that euphoria4. I don't have Eu3 on the virtual PC. Looks like the installation of an ide on Eu4 needs Eu3 to exist. This probably should not be necessary.

What I think will be best is to install Euphoria 4 on my host machine in c:\euphoria4 since it does seem that the two can co-exist quite happily. I will use Derek's IDE as it will look for the Eu4 binaries. My EuVIDE - Judith's - will run on Eu3 very nicely. Derek's euide executable will be told it will run on Eu4 only, and then we will see. I'll re-download the Eu4.0.2 Windows installer, and Derek's Win32Lib and euide.exe and set the eu.cfg more-or-less as specified; then from what you are saying it should run quite happily. I will install the new Win32Lib into c:euphoria4\win32lib\include so I have two completely isolated installations. That sound sensible?

However, it might be a little while before I can do it as I'm pretty busy at work. If there are any other sillies I will post them, and in the meantime I think I will have to examine carefully what you have been saying. I'm hoping that at the end of this I can produce an install file for Win32Lib and IDE to load into a Eu4-only system which will run out of the box. So - TTFN.

44. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

Looks like the installation of an ide on Eu4 needs Eu3 to exist. This probably should not be necessary.

No, it doesn't require Eu3 at all. It can run on either.

AndyDrummond said...

What I think will be best is to install Euphoria 4 on my host machine in c:\euphoria4 since it does seem that the two can co-exist quite happily. I will use Derek's IDE as it will look for the Eu4 binaries.

The IDE will only look for a Euphoria binary in the "bin" folder inside the folder you set as "Location of Euphoria". If it finds exwc.exe it assumes you want to use Eu3 when running your IDE projects from the IDE. If it finds eui.exe then it assumes you want to use Eu4.

AndyDrummond said...

I'll re-download the Eu4.0.2 Windows installer, and Derek's Win32Lib and euide.exe and set the eu.cfg more-or-less as specified; then from what you are saying it should run quite happily. I will install the new Win32Lib into c:euphoria4\win32lib\include so I have two completely isolated installations. That sound sensible?

Yep, but I don't see why it wasn't working already.

AndyDrummond said...

I'm hoping that at the end of this I can produce an install file for Win32Lib and IDE to load into a Eu4-only system which will run out of the box.

It already does.

45. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

It already does.

OK, Derek, I give in. I installed Eu4 out-of-the-box into C:\euphoria4, ditto your euide, ditto your win32lib (I say your because your offered the URLs) and set the ide up as you said, and Bingo. It ran out of the box. Sometimes I don't understand computers. Other times they don't understand me. I don't know what I was doing but I must have fouled something up properly.

So now I am on my way, with an IDE which opens PDQ, etc etc. I apologise for all the hassle I put your guys through, but there you go. I proved it was Eu4 I was running because it will take a forward reference happily. That didn't require any thinking about, which clearly I am not good at right now! So - off I go after all that.

Many thanks again.

46. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

and Bingo. It ran out of the box.

Good.

AndyDrummond said...

I don't know what I was doing but I must have fouled something up properly.

As I understand it, you were including both wildcard.e (via the include win32lib statement) and std\text.e. That means two copies of upper() etc. That means you would need namespaces to resolve them. I don't care what Derek says, the new messages are NOT better than the old ones, quite the opposite in fact.

Regards,
Pete

47. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

petelomax said...

As I understand it, you were including both wildcard.e (via the include win32lib statement) and std\text.e. That means two copies of upper() etc. That means you would need namespaces to resolve them. I don't care what Derek says, the new messages are NOT better than the old ones, quite the opposite in fact.

Regards,
Pete

Yes, Pete, but that was because euide was claiming it couldn't find wildcard.e and I found that in include\std. No, something odd happened and I messed up the whole shooting match. Having done it again it is fine and I am raring to go. I will have more questions in due course, but for now work beckons...

Andy

48. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...
petelomax said...

Regards,
Pete

Yes, Pete, but that was because euide was claiming it couldn't find wildcard.e and I found that in include\std.

I think Pete was right. The error message was not that Eu couldn't find the routine but that it couldn't resolve it. And that could have been because either it wasn't found or there were multiple definitions. I believe this message has been improved in the next release of Eu4.

49. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

I understand that. But it raises another question which is this: I have a program which uses something from w32resources.ew (loadBitmapFromFile2(), to be precise). The program fails because w32resources.ew cannot resolve seek(), among other things. seek(), of course, can be found in file.e, and presumably somewhere else too. The question is this: do I go on and add namespace xxx to these various files in euphoria4\include, and the namespace reference in the win32lib routines involved, as part of an ongoing generation of a full win32lib, or have I managed to get something screwed up again like I did before? I have many other such reference problems on common routines like sprintf(), dir(), sleep() and so on.

As a subsidiary question, is there any way I can find out what other references within win32lib (as a whole) cannot be resolved because of namespace omissions? And, if namespaces are important - as they are - how come a standard include file like file.e doesn't have a namespace ident in it? All these questions must be answered ...

Maybe this should be a new thread...

50. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

AndyDrummond said...

I understand that. But it raises another question which is this: I have a program which uses something from w32resources.ew (loadBitmapFromFile2(), to be precise). The program fails because w32resources.ew cannot resolve seek(), among other things. seek(), of course, can be found in file.e, and presumably somewhere else too. The question is this: do I go on and add namespace xxx to these various files in euphoria4\include, and the namespace reference in the win32lib routines involved, as part of an ongoing generation of a full win32lib, or have I managed to get something screwed up again like I did before? I have many other such reference problems on common routines like sprintf(), dir(), sleep() and so on.

As a subsidiary question, is there any way I can find out what other references within win32lib (as a whole) cannot be resolved because of namespace omissions? And, if namespaces are important - as they are - how come a standard include file like file.e doesn't have a namespace ident in it? All these questions must be answered ...

Maybe this should be a new thread...

The question that is raised for me is "What on earth has Andy done with his system?". I ask this because the following program works perfectly well for me.

include std/io.e 
include win32lib.ew 

integer w = create(Window, "test", 0, 20, 30, 400, 400, 0) 

object a = loadBitmapFromFile("samp.bmp") 

WinMain(w, 0) 

I have no problem with the demo programs supplied with win32lib either, so I'm struggling to see what is causing your problem. Can you create some example code and post it here, which demonstrates the problem for me?

51. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

DerekParnell said...

I have no problem with the demo programs supplied with win32lib either, so I'm struggling to see what is causing your problem. Can you create some example code and post it here, which demonstrates the problem for me?

I'm asking myself the same question. I have looked at the generated EXW from IDE of my PO program which I developed in Eu3. The start looks like this (after the documentation):

atom VATRate VATRate = 0.175 
constant PI = 3.141592653 

include Win32Lib.ew 
without warning 
include infoBox.ew 
include tidy_print.e 
include C:\EUPHORIA\INCLUDE\grprint.ew 
include C:\Euphoria\INCLUDE\Ask.ew 
include C:\Euphoria\INCLUDE\LISTDIRS.E 

object	gash 

gash = setCreateFont("Arial", 10, Normal, Blue) 

Now I have win32lib in C:\Euphoria4\Win32Lib\include. I guess therefore that Eu4 is looking and not finding Win32Lib. Trouble is, and it took me a while to find this, if I run the EXW I get a pile of errors as I mentioned. If i run it from IDE, it is IDE that crashes - the console box title bar is C:\Euphoria4\euide\ide.exe. If I hit return, IDE closes. This is odd, it seems that IDE is the parent of euiw.exe which is failing with these errors. This means that when I close the error console I close IDE too. That can't be right, I feel.

The ex.err I get from PO.exw running is:

C:\Euphoria4\Projects\PO\PO.exw:1106 
	C:\Euphoria\Win32Lib\Include\w32resources.ew (3117): seek 
	C:\Euphoria\Win32Lib\Include\w32resources.ew (3118): where 
	C:\Euphoria\Win32Lib\Include\w32resources.ew (3119): seek 
	C:\Euphoria\Win32Lib\Include\w32resources.ew (3387): reverse 
	C:\Euphoria\Win32Lib\Include\w32resources.ew (3768): instance 
	C:\Euphoria\Win32Lib\Include\w32resources.ew (5490): instance 
	PO.exw (363): sprint 
	PO.exw (391): dir 
	PO.exw (397): sprint 
	PO.exw (438): sprint 
	PO.exw (458): dir 
	PO.exw (464): sprint 
	PO.exw (680): sort 
	PO.exw (742): dir 
	PO.exw (863): sleep 
	PO.exw (883): sprint 
	PO.exw (895): sleep 
	PO.exw (901): sprint 
	PO.exw (914): sprint 
	PO.exw (917): sprint 
	PO.exw (960): sleep 
	PO.exw (965): sprint 
	PO.exw (1030): sprint 
	PO.exw (1076): sprint 
	PO.exw (1106): sprint 

gash=message_box("Error trying to print\nCode "&sprint(fh),"Failed to print",MB_ICONEXCLAMATION) 
		                                                      ^ 

--- Defined Words --- 
EU4 
EU4_0 
EU4_0_3 
WINDOWS 
WIN32 
CONSOLE 
EUI 
------------------- 

I have run some old Eu3 programs in Eu4 with no trouble, with or without the ide coming into play. So finding what is causing the crash is going to be tricky, and I need to do that if I am going to generate a Noddy program demonstrating it. Give me a while to do this and I will see what I can come up with. I think I am going to have to start writing Eu4 code from square one and not try running old Eu3 code with it. PO, a fairly big program, is one problem, and I put all the include files into the project folder, and told euide that there were no include files. Then I ran it with eu4 and got 6300 lines on ex.err listing all the references it couldn't cope with.

So let me work on this for a while, and write some new code and see where I am messing up. You guys can't spend all your time looking after incompetents like me. I'll come back with some proper questions when I have some. Till then, yes, eu4 works, euide works in eu4, though I am a little concerned about where I should put win32lib so euide points to it OK. I'm confused about whether I am running Eu3 or Eu4 (*.exw runs Eu3 by default) and whether included files are being picked up from my Eu3 folders or Eu4 folders. I think I will have to write a batch file to switch Eu3 or Eu4 into play.

52. Re: Win32Lib and IDE

I have the PO program running now. Basically, when I renamed folder c:\uphoria to euphoriaX, so that any references to Eu3 were thwarted, I realised I had not added the path to Win32Lib into the eu.cfg, so it was picking up the Eu3 Win32Lib. Doh!

I have renamed my exw file to have the xw4 extension and assigned that to euiw.exe in eu4\bin; that way I can run Eu3 programs with exw extension with the Eu3 exw.exe and Eu4 programs with xw4 extension with euiw.exe without having to be more clever. Is there any way that euide can be persuaded t generate that file extension in its generated program? If so it becomes easy to have Eu3 & Eu4 living in harmony because the programs will run with their own interpreters. As it is I use .ide extension for Eu3 IDE projects and .id4 for Eu4 IDE projects so that I use the right IDE program. But both produce exw programs.

It may be that I can run ALL my old Eu3 program on Eu4 with the new Win32Lib without change; if so I am being a total dunce and I should simply have switched to Eu4 just like I switched from Eu2 to Eu3 etc rtc.

So - that's all that was going on. Thank you for your help and patience with me. Now I can get on - and so can you.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu