Re: inpout32

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

We all knew already the same thing that Ryan learned the hard way. If it was easily doable (direct hardware access on modern Windoze), wouldn't have someone done it by now?

katsmeow said...

That was not the problem. The raspi runs it's native nix flavor.

Ryan took the approach of the raspi being an intelligent i/o chip, handling multiple protocols, and in communication with the wintel box (or a nix or apple box) via the lan.

Ah, so you took d) while Ryan took b).

katsmeow said...

I agreed very much.

I confess that this surprised me.

katsmeow said...

I believe we discussed this, you probably have the discourse urls memorised.

Kat

An even greater surprise. I can not recall this ever being discussed before. The closest would be https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/138588.wc but there's no mention of Ryan or that this Pi was suppose to be able to operate the fan by design or of you reading the code for that Pi.

katsmeow said...

I bought a set of raspi with all the bells and whistles, following Ry's (good) suggestions. Advantage of this approach is the desktop/laptop functioning as the human interface can be shut down, the raspi making elementary decisions and logging data, while consuming very little power.

It is a good approach.

katsmeow said...

I looked at the code because Ryan didn't finish the request, i got very lost very fast, got no answers, unplugged it. While it did access the temperature sensors, proving the attic fans needed to be turned on/off as necessary, the raspi could not operate the fan. Etc.

That was not the problem. The raspi runs it's native nix flavor.

I'd argue that this proves that it is the problem. You can't do b) which is why you couldn't pierce the black box and fix the Pi to operate the fan.

So I don't know why Ryan didn't finish the job. Knowing that reason is important.

If Ryan simply retired, or say he rejoined the military, or became a religious missionary - then I'd say there's hope. If the code is Eu, then we on this forum can help out. Otherwise, we can find a dev who charges a reasonable price to look into the matter for you.

What we need to remember is that none of the folks here were as big in embedded I/O aas Ryan was. So if anyone could have made this work, it's Ryan.

If Ryan gave up because of technical difficulties, that suggests to me that it may not be possible. Of course, I'd need to speak to Ryan to get an idea of what difficulties he faced in that case - but the odds do not look good.

The other thing is that I feel like Ryan would have written the code in C. 'Nuff said there.

This is exactly why I pushed the Ultimate64 as the solution. With c) you have the same approach that Ryan took with the Pi - except that nix is not involved and you can write the code yourself on the 64. Meaning that you can maintain it yourself.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu