Re: inpout32

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...

In the interest of debugging, breaking the post up, removing the caret over the 2nd 'e' in "Deschenes"....

I am interested in seeing how Pete uses the 2009 Jacques Deschenes serial.ew on a windows usb port.

Same here.

katsmeow said...

I was told it was impossible due to windows itself.

Kat

The "it" part is a bit ambiguous. At least on the recent threads on this forum, no one said it was impossible to use his serial.ew - but if you know differently, a direct quote and a link would help.

What was mentioned regarding windows was this,

jimcbrown said...

More like, Windoze locked things down to only the chosen few (C coding device driver developers) to protect the tide pod eaters.

From https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/138604.wc

Anyways, for serial.ew, I believe this is the relevant bit of code,

-- open a serial port and return the handle 
global function serial_open(integer com) 
atom fn_val, pComm 
   pComm = allocate_string(sprintf("\\\\.\\com%d",com)) 
   fn_val = c_func(iCreateFile,{pComm, 
                    GENERIC_READ+GENERIC_WRITE, 
                    OPEN_EXISTING, 
                    }) 
   free(pComm) 
   return fn_val 
end function 

Basically, it opens COM1 or etc as a file. So if the windows USB port doesn't have a device driver that does COM1 then you're out of luck and it's impossible to use this...

And if I understand correctly that sata is never exposed as a COM port, then it'd never assist in speaking sata (since you mentioned it as an option, from https://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/138600.wc )

jimcbrown said...

How the heck does one drive a lawn mower with a single general purpose input output digital signal pin? Surely steering requires more than just on/off?

katsmeow said...

See, blatant trolling,

No, it's an actual and genuine question. After all, that was in response to:

katsmeow said...

it's as if a GPIO port [snip] might be useable only to operate [snip] a lawn mower, but not both!?!

If I'm confused about something regarding your meaning (which is quite likely) I at least hope you can understand why I am confused.

katsmeow said...

How many single-bit differential pairs between the computer and the printer? And how can you save any 8-bit ascii characters to a hdd with only one bit wide data path? How did rs-232 etc ever work?

That said, i have seen remote "control" toys where steering was "left", "right", or "center", depending on presence of signal and polarity (or pwm percentage). I used polarity on a cabled remote control of a RCA tv, Roberts reel deck, and FM tuner in 1975, mostly to cut the number of wires in half, and it pretty much set itself up.

Ahh, that makes sense! I see how it'd be possible now. (More proof that it was a genuine question, considering the elaborate and detailed multi-part answer you gave!)

katsmeow said...

when you could have been solving the problem.

Kat

Actually, this is worth breaking down into multiple parts.

First, well I couldn't actually, because of the above confusion. (Sometimes it's possible to push through past some confusion, but one generally shouldn't take it as a given.)

Second, I'm not sure the problem is solvable at this point, as per my points on a)b)c)d) earlier in this thread. Getting a modernized Commodore 64 solution to interface with Windoze/OE was the last best hope...

Third, my understanding is because all serial.ew does is open a "COM" port, it won't do the job for you. If I'm mistaken about that, it's likely because I'm confused about what you're trying to accomplish and unable to get a sufficient level of clarification to become unconfused.

Finally, even if I could have been solving the problem - should I have? Perhaps the question that you answered was actually more interesting to me. Before asking for help, it's worth asking why other folks would offer to help - and what do they expect to get out of it.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu