Re: "dumping" a map

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Thanks all for your replies and advice.

At the moment I don't want to save anything to file, just display on screen in a readable format.

To give more context, I have an existing app which reads a text file and based on its contents generates text output. The existing app is written in gawk and comprises some 3500 lines of code. For some time I have wanted to port it to a multi-platform compilable version, and I'm looking at either OE/phix, or python. The current app relies heavily on gawk's associative arrays, with string keys, so I need an easy way to replicate this in OE. Maps seem to fit the bill, but for development and trouble-shooting purposes it would be great to be able to visualize the contents of a complex multi-level map structure.

And this is really just a learning exercise so that I can next leverage my new-found OE or Python knowledge to port an Excel/VBA which also relies heavily on data structures, but this is a much more ambitious project as I need to recreate Excel's tabbed GUI (though I don't need any formulas, just tabbed grids).

Anyway, your replies have given me food for thought, I will run some tests during the day to see if they lead anywhere.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu