Re: What's the relationship between OE and Phix and what impact on Exercism?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
axtens_bruce said...

Maybe I should have asked this weeks ago, but what is the relationship between OE and Phix?

Euphoria is a programming language like Python or Ruby. And much like those languages there are a variety of implementations and derivatives of Euphoria.

OpenEuphoria is the reference implementation of Euphoria, like CPython or Ruby MRI. It is developed by the OpenEuphoria Group (this website and its members) and is based on the original code released by Rob Craig in 2006.

Phix is a dialect of Euphoria, like PyPy or JRuby. It is developed by Pete Lomax and is entirely its own code base at this point.

axtens_bruce said...

Does it have any impact on the Exercism track? Should the maker of Phix be starting a track for Phix on Exercism or are the languages not sufficiently differentiated as yet?

Given my response above, I'd say if you are building this track for "Euphoria" in general then no, you'll only need to maintain one track.

But if you're focusing on the implementation of "OpenEuphoria" specifically then yes, someone would need to maintain a separate "Phix" track in parallel.

How do the other programming languages I mentioned (Python or Ruby) handle their separate dialects on Exercism?

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu