Re: Can't install phix

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
irv said...

Trying to run ./p -test, dmesg gives me this:

[19500.404765] 13755 (p): Uhuuh, elf segment at 0000000000400000 requested but the memory is mapped already

Oh, does that mean you've got past ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 ?? - and run face first into another f*ing issue?

There has been a response on SO:

Peter Cordes said...

glibc isn't part of the kernel. What is "ld-2.11.1.so" and how can I look at the source code? - see codebrowser.dev/glibc/glibc/elf. I don't know which files exactly it gets built from, but just seeing the function names and variable names at the point where it segfaults could be helpful in figuring out which bytes of your hand-crafted binary to take a closer look at. ld-linux is not a huge program, although not tiny, with the binary being 212K on my system, so I'm not suggesting you try to fully understand how the whole thing works.

To which my response is "am I being totally *king thick? What the f.ity f f.ing f?"
Bar the overall gist of "it's easy", when "it clearly ain't", is anything on either of those links supposed to make any sense to me in any way at all, or is it just a cruel and deliberate wind-up?

Googling the earlier remark of "make a debug build of glibc", best I've yet got is "sudo apt-get install libc6-dbg" then you can run dbg...

Linux is just wonderful, innit?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu