Re: Taking the red pill...

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
katsmeow said...
ghaberek said...

If you want a ready-made out-of-the-box solution, then maybe you should go look for a ready-made commercial solution. But expect to pay the cost for a commercial equivalent.

I have offered $300 for one instance of the working solution. I think i've already hit "commercial".

ghaberek said...

But good luck finding support for Windows 7 since Microsoft doesn't support it and vendors don't like offering things for unsupported systems.

Not my problem, it should have been done 10 years ago when win7 was more relavant.

Kat

I'm working on a solution today. Just taking a break to explain my idea.

There are USB to RS485 adapters based on FTDI chips, and i already have a mostly-finished FTDI wrapper for Euphoria. My plan is to design a simple, low-cost PCB for the DIP-40 version of the Propeller micro controller with an RS485 transceiver. I'll write an "OS" to run on the propeller chip and a Euphoria library to communicate with the propeller chip. The software could let you configure I/O assignments and modes for different functions such as: controlling LEDs/MOSFETs/relays, generating frequencies (making a piezo beep), reading buttons/switches, reading/writing variables in RAM or data on EEPROM, communicating with i2c/spi/serial chips such as LED controllers, sensors, battery monitors, ADCs, etc., or modify the source code to make your own custom features.

I'm designing the PCB in a way that it would be really easy to connect the I/O pins to a bread board or whatever. And, it will have footprints to easily add pull up/down resistors. Also, i'm thinking i could make about 25-50 of these to reduce the per-unit cost, and solder on the basic supporting components along with a DIP-40 socket. Then, Propeller chips can be bought separately as needed.

OK, back to work now...i'll let you know how it goes.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu