Re: bind vs. interp on Windows 10

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Thanks. I ran into this problem while trying to find out why EuGTK seems to run more slowly on Windows than on Linux. After inserting some timing statements, I discovered that it isn't really *running* much slower, it's just *starting* slower, which gives the appearance of running more slowly.

The actual times, once Windows decides to let me run my own program, are very close:

Windows Linux
load Eu includes 0.156 Load Eu includes 0.3
build interface 0.031 build interface 0.01 [1]
startup GTK 0.813 [2] startup GTK 0.06
load big file 0.031 load big file 0.02
total 1.031 sec total 0.39

[1] I was surprised that, as complex as EuGTK is, Euphoria was able to process and link all those GTK calls, set up a registry, and create the various controls in such a short time. Pretty powerful!

[2] While it's obvious that Linux is faster here (since it's working with native shared libraries vs. the GTK shim), nobody would notice the extra six tenths of a sec or so that Windows needs - if that were all that's involved.

All the extra startup (close to 4 sec when bound) seems to be before Euphoria has even started.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu