Re: About parallelism

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Here's a question: there's a test program with EuGTK (leak.ex), designed to use 100% cpu time. You can run it and use System Monitor to see the cpu load.

My new computer has 8 cores. I can run 7 instances of leak.ex, and each goes to a separate processor, using 100% of that processors time. (The 8th I leave alone to handle the other stuff that's going on.)

If each of those instances of Eu were running a different program, and the programs had a way to talk to each other, wouldn't that accomplish the goal? *Provided, of course, you also wrote a "supervisor" program to allocate the tasks as needed*

https://sites.google.com/site/euphoriagtk/sysmon.png?attredirects=0&d=1

Edit: also, I note that when running 1 instance, the CPU used by Eu changes every few seconds (10 to 20, usually, sometimes less). Maybe this is to distribute the heat better? In the test pictured above, where all CPUs are used, there is no swapping going on.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu