Re: Switch from Ubuntu to Mint

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I understand and appreciate the advice to experiment using Ubuntu. I am doing that and have made great progress with the binary tree project.
I am also experimenting with trying Mint. I created the bootable DVD with the required ISO. The magic key to interrupt the boot process turned out to be not F1 nor F2, nor even F11, but F12. The Bios on my Gateway apparently does not record changes made to the boot sequence. It booted from the DVD immediately after I made the change, but then reverted back to the old sequence on the next restart. I rebooted from the DVD. Somewhere in the process there were notations about three things that were missing. I did not write them down.
After a long time an icon appeared at the center of a dark screen. It was probably the Linux Mint logo (LM). Five dots appeared under ít, changing from white to green and back again, over and over. Though this lasted several minutes, the changing dots seemed to imply that something productive was happening.
Finally, the screen went completely dark. Since then, for over an hour, a single underscore cursor has flashed in the extreme upper left corner for about 30 seconds, then totally off for a period of between 30 and 70 seconds, then repeat. Nothing that I have done on the keyboard has any effect. It looks like I will just have to turn the power off.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu