Re: Switch from Ubuntu to Mint

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Yes, the key to the bios has been different on every computer I've owned. Seems like that would be the easiest thing to standardize, so you gotta wonder why it's never been done.

Somewhere on the boot menu is probably an option to save your changes.

Anyway, the color-changing dots appear when Mint is loading. When Mint is installed to the hard drive, they'll show up for some seconds, then it's ready to run. From a DVD, it will take longer. How much longer depends upon the speed of the DVD. There's also the possibility that the DVD has a defect or wasn't burned successfully, which would make it impossible to read completely, so it would never finish.

So I can't answer your question, except to say that, on my computer, booting Mint 19 from DVD takes exactly 4 minutes. From the hard drive, it's < 2 min., and booting Ubuntu (which I put on the SSD) is about 1 min.

Also, it would seem logical that since booting from DVD/USB means trying to load as much of the OS into memory as possible, so as to get quick response, then the amount of memory available would affect things. If not enough can be found, then there's going to be continuous need to swap things in and out of memory.

It would be helpful to know the specifics of your new computer (memory, processor, etc)

In addition, I do note that when I use F11 to access the boot menu, I can see 2 different "boot from DVD" options, but I only have one DVD drive. One of those options is "UEFI boot from removable drive". The other doesn't mention UEFI, just "removable drive".

So, what is UEFI? https://www.linux.com/learn/how-install-linux-windows-machine-uefi-secure-boot https://www.itsmarttricks.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-uefi-linux-mint-usb-drive/

Anyway, my computer seems happy to boot Linux from either option. Perhaps yours is different, and some setting is preventing it from working.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu