Re: Move to github?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ne1uno said...

it wouldn't hurt to put links on the download page to the other repo if all the download files can be stored there as well. *outside the source directory so that the source can be downloaded as an archive.

some people are avoiding sourceforge because of their questionable practices in the past few years. they've been bought out a few times and apparently some projects have had malware/adware wrappers added at some point.

euphoria could use more promotion but there are bigger problems than how it is distributed.

Yes this is the other thing about sourceforge, in the last few years they have lost a lot of trust. I remember the internet blowing up over how the GIMP project was treated. Besides that, I think it's obvious that not many people consider sourceforge relevant anymore, and have moved their projects to other places. I'm not going to sit here and down play the major task it would be for developers using a mercurial based version control solution to merge a large project with a long commit history to a different version control solution.

As far as I know, the OpenEuphoria project has no sponsorship, a very small team, and do not work on the project full time. That said, I think it's imperative to start considering getting some help whether that's finding a sponsor (unlikely) or moving the code base to a place with more traffic. In the long run this not only provides the possibility of gaining more attention and contributors, but also and exit strategy for those who want to see the project survive but no longer have the desire/time to continue development.

Now, it may be the the developers are happy with how things are right now and would like it to stay that way long into the future. I just don't think the project will last if things remain in their current form. Personally I'd like to see Euphoria be a competitive option in the programming languages space as it has a lot to offer that many languages don't (i.e being a scripting language with the option to compile). Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of programming languages out there that offer interesting features (such as elixir, haskell, ocaml, rust, nim, julia etc) but I still think Euphoria hits that sweet spot.

I'd say that overall, if anybody wants the project to have a chance to thrive and survive in modern times, something has to be done. Distribution is only one small step and while it may not be the biggest issue or even biggest priority, it's still a crucial point that needs serious consideration and discussion. I encourage everyone with thoughts on this topic to reply here as a community so we can collectively gain perspective on the matter.

What does the OpenEuphoria project mean to you and would you care if faded into the void?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu