Re: RedyCode 0.9.3

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
euphoric said...
Mike777b said...

ProjectName.exw.YYMMDDHHMMSS.bkp# where YYMMDDHHMMSS obviously stands for Year Month Day Hour Minute Second and # is sequential (starts at 00001 and increments by 1 each time)

There's no reason you'd need the sequential number, unless you're backing up more than once per second.

andi49 said...

There is nothing productive in your post.

I respectivefully disagree. euphoric was merely stating what euphoric believed to be a potential optimization (akin to saying 'well, to save on memory you can store the year as only two digits instead of four!'). Mike777b had an excellent response which explained why it was in fact useful - and this was, at least to me, a non-obvious answer that was worth having spelled out.

andi49 said...

Your comment lacked an alternative naming.

It did not. euphoric's alternative naming was, at least to me, obvious - ProjectName.exw.YYMMDDHHMMSS.bkp where YYMMDDHHMMSS obviously stands for Year Month Day Hour Minute Second

andi49 said...

Just critic.

Even if it had lacked this, I still feel that pointing out a potential optimization is a useful form of good, friendly, constructive criticism and feedback.

That said, it's certainly possible that euphoric could have worded his post a little better. Maybe something along the lines of "Good idea on the format, but are you sure you need the sequence number? It seems to me that unless you are saving it more than once a second you don't really need that part, and so you can save on code complexity by not having to maintain the sequence number handling code..."

But hey, we're all geeks and nerds, not professional PR people. Some allowance must be made for nerdiness.

andi49 said...

A really worthless comment to a really good feedback!

I feel that your comment here is borderline, but it comes close to violating the CodeOfConduct - it looks to me as if this is being less than respectful, and not assuming good faith on the part of euphoric's suggestion.

andi49 said...

From my point of view, this kind of posts discourages people to give any feedback.

From my point of view, your post is of the kind that is more likely to discourage, rather than euphoric's.

I suppose, though, that some allowance must be made here for nerdiness.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu