RedyCode 0.9.3

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Bravo! Very well done, Ryan!

The speed is a little sluggish so I'm a little worried about what the eventual speed will be once you implement additional features, but not too worried.

Just thought I'd let you know what features I feel are required before I could seriously jump on board.

In my world, a GUI is still a UI so it is imperative that the flagship IDE have UI features that invite efficiency, because if the flagship doesn't invite efficiency it is hard to imagine that the IDE will allow a user to create an app that does. For me, that means as much keyboard control as I can get. So, even though Hotkeys are listed in the 0.9.1 - 0.9.9 roadmap already (that is, the soonest stuff), I'd vote for them sooner rather than later. I'd like F5 to run the project's exw, but I can settle for an "Alt-A; R" keyboard shortcut to execute the Run command of the Application Menu. Similarly, FindNext has to have a hotkey (F3?)

The only feature of RedyPad that is absolutely needed is Undo/redo so I'd vote to move that up from Version 1.0 on the roadmap.

I actually think with the above few features it is ready (yuck, yuck) for the real world.

There is also one feature I'd suggest you put into the roadmap somewhere and that is an additional command on the Application menu entitled "Backup and Run" which makes a textfile backup of the exw file which can function as a restore point. I would put a backup directory in the Source directory and create a new file called ProjectName.exw.YYMMDDHHMMSS.bkp# where YYMMDDHHMMSS obviously stands for Year Month Day Hour Minute Second and # is sequential (starts at 00001 and increments by 1 each time). I'd even settle for the poor man's version which would be a command on the Application menu named something like "Execute App and Run" and then put the appname somewhere where it would be remembered. Then it would be up to the user to write a small app that would do the backup before running the exw. Just a (long) thought!

As you can tell I haven't investigated in detail the RedyLib feature-set and I'm sure there are things you plan on doing there, as well.

I understand that these things take time!

Thanks for RedyCode/Lib, it has great promise.

mike

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu