Re: Translator

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Thanks Jim Your suggestion of changing the tildes worked. I changed them in the $PATH and in eu.cfg, so I'm not sure where that issue lay. Your comment:
"Well, no. It's looking for where the translator is installed (so it can find eu.a and other things), not the directory where the source code is compiled from."
Yep, I misunderstood that - but I am curious. The translator is actually running the code, so it is looking for its own path. Can't a process return its absolute path? I think it's possible to do that in C and you wouldn't need to test that the path exists or guess at a default.
Your comment:
"Are you using a BSD or something? On GNU/Linux, it opens "" (that's right, it opens an empty string), not "libc.so"."
Sorry, I was reading the UNIX line, not realising that there was a separate LINUX line somewhere above it. (I was reading backwards from the function, which probably explains a lot about my thinking in general.)
In relation to paths for libraries, I had a hunch that they weren't necessary, but I interpreted this part of the manual on open_dll() as suggesting otherwise:
"file_name can be a relative or an absolute file name. Most operating systems will use the normal search path for locating non-relative files."
I also tested open_dll( "libc.so" ) on my machine and it returned zero, which seemed to confirm that there was a path issue. Does that accord with what you would expect when libc.so is in the standard lib64 directory? This was also why I thought the runtime error was inappropriate, but of course that was based on the misconception that the code tries to open libc.so.
Sorry to be so lengthy, but, apart from my curiosity, I thought it's good to keep up a bit of discussion on the forum. The difficulties in getting OE to work out of the box have often been mentioned on the forum, and despite my best efforts, I've had some hurdles, and they're not over yet. This originally arose out of the failure of Ken Rhodes' Eugeany and EuHelp files to compile, and now that I've got Eugeany compiling and running, it seems to be re-directing standard output, not just standard error, which is what I thought it did. So when I run Hello World! from eui it works, but when I run it from Eugeany it runs but the console is blank apart from an exit message. Ah well, guess that will be a future discussion thread.
Cheers
PeterR

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu