Re: OpenEuphoria's Strategy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Spock said...

There's bound to be some inner loop that is required to be as fast as possible. If the HL equivalent isn't too lengthy said inner loop could be written in ASM. Almost like Pete has done in Phix, I use ASM snippets in Orac. Since apparently C is not fast enough do you require MMX operations?

I'd rather not resort to that. The output doesn't have to be real time, it just can't be too slow.

It was taking 184 seconds to render 55 seconds of audio yesterday.

So I ran the profile against it. It took several attempts, because I kept exceeding the profile limits.

I finally got it to work with:

with profile_time 50000000 

Here's one place that had an obvious optimization:

-- filter sample 
atom out = sample*this[B0] + this[Z][1]*this[B1] + this[Z][2]*this[B2] - this[Z][3]*this[A1] - this[Z][4]*this[A2] 

-- shift history 
this[Z][4] = this[Z][3] 
this[Z][3] = out 
this[Z][2] = this[Z][1] 
this[Z][1] = sample 

Indexing indexes is horrifically expensive in Euphoria. I replaced it with:

-- filter sample 
atom out = sample*this[B0] + this[Z1]*this[B1] + this[Z2]*this[B2] - this[Z3]*this[A1] - this[Z4]*this[A2] 

-- shift history 
this[Z4] = this[Z3] 
this[Z3] = out 
this[Z2] = this[Z1] 
this[Z1] = sample 

and dropped the time to 42 seconds. I shaved another 8 seconds off by optimizing a few more operations.

I'll look at further optimizations later, but for now I've got more important things to fix.

- David

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu