Re: console routines

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
SDPringle said...

In writing a MYSQL wrapper for EUPHORIA, I found that for demos it is useful to have a way to determine the number of columns and rows. Please comment on whether we should have a colums() and rows() routine in std/console.e that returns these values.

No doubts that the std/console.e should have a columns() and rows() routines. It is extremely useful. video_config() returns correct values when opening a new terminal - but not after resizing the terminal. That's a problem that was exist with DOS after executing system(), which by the way I personally solved by examining the BIOS area and then calling DOS interrupts if necessary, and it worked perfectly (unluckily I've lost the source code - as usual).

For the GUI generation of programmers, it's important to know that console utilities and applications, are much more efficient and straightforward to write. Console programming is not a luxury - it's an essential part of a serious and mature all-purpose-language.

Many fancy GUI programs are useless if you cannot start the GUI environment. Without console programs and utilities I guess that the global communication would've been broken all the time.

Euphoria must continue to maintain console routines since this is one of the great aspects of this language.

p.s. The mobile stuff, cellphones, watches, etc - are all toys, fashion, luxury. All-purpose-language for PC must remain All-purpose for serious programming. Why waste the time on suppling support for temporary fashions as android which is mostly great for bored kids and for making money.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu