Re: Status of Euphoria 3.1.1?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
rationalgambler said...

I've never found any bugs in 3.1.1, but I found plenty in 4.x when I started using it a couple of years after Eu went open source. I'm sure many, perhaps most, have been fixed by now - or maybe not!

The thing is, the more complex software is, the more bugs there are likely to be hidden away, and the longer it's going to take to flush them all out. And if the user base isn't very large (as is the case with Eu), then it's likely that some bugs (perhaps many) will not be found for a long time, if ever.

I'm learning C at the moment and in time will hopefully be able to fix any bugs in 3.1.1 and perhaps make a few changes. The source code is well documented and seems very "clean". Again, no disrespect to the devs, but 4.x is just too bloated for my taste. I know people say "if you don't like a feature then just don't use it", but it's not quite that simple.

It is easy to add features when you add the features in the euphoria version of the sources because you can write the feature in euphoria.

The only problem is even if you translate it and compile it, you have no binders or translators that contain your code.

The only way to add a feature in the "C" coded source is to write the feature in "C".

You say well that is easy; I will just translate my euphoria coded feature to "C" and just use that "C" translated feature in "C" coded source.

When you look at the "C" translated feature you will find it maybe broken up into three separate files. They contain "C" code but it is not like the "C" you will find in a book. Variables and offsets are represented numeric values that the compiler understands but it is very difficult for the average user to understand. You still have to find away to call your "C" translated feature The reason for these problem is that Euphoria was originally hand coded.

Other computer languages are compiled using a language grammar.

There is no formal written step by step explanation how to added a feature to the Euphoria "C" source.

In the past many features have been added but there has never been an effort to add some mechanism to make it easy for an end user to pass a feature from the back-end to the front-end.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu