Re: Precompiled include files

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jaygade said...

I'm not talking about .il files OR .dll (or .so or .dylib) files. I'm talking about translating and compiling std/*.e files to .c and .o files during a project build.

I'm mainly talking about building Euphoria, although the same could apply to other larger projects. The same std/*.e file gets translated into a .c file and then compiled into a .o file and then finally linked in to the project. This seems wasteful when it happens several times during a build, when these files change extremely rarely.

I ran seven tests looking for a bug in the interpreter and so I had compiled several build directories. I compared the function name in the C from the EUPHORIA routine screen_output and each of them had the same prefix of _56. Arguably this file didn't need to be compiled each time unless the EUPHORIA code they used had changed. Since their code and even their function names remain the same across builds. It is not only the contents of the translation but also the defines that are used that affect the object code and of course which translator you are using.

What about inlining? If routines are inlined from other dot - e files than if any included file is changed you have to recompile it. So already the library files are interdependent in this way.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu