Re: win32Lib Apps Crashing on Startup

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
A913 said...

The problem is not with win32lib, rweavers, it is with Windows. When they changed over to a 64 bit system with the Vista OS, they changed the size of the handles, and that followed with each new revision up to Windows 7. I ran across this with all of the programs I wrote for Win98 or XP. When I switched all of my handle values to atoms instead of integers, the program would work fine without having to mess around with downward compatibility issues. It is for this reason that I dropped all Microsoft crap and went to Linux and FreeDOS.

That you could get away with using euphoria integers for windows handles was actually simply luck. This sort of thing often failed back in the Windows 98 days. In the early days of Win32Lib, many variables that stored handles were set to be integers, leading to many mysterious failures that could be difficult to reproduce.

Windows handles are documented to be 32-bit values on 32-bit Windows, which means that euphoria integers are not suitable containers, and never have been.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu