Re: win32Lib Apps Crashing on Startup

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
rweavers said...

Exe programs built using Euphoria 3.1 and win32lib no longer function on my Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1. Neither do the demo .exw demo examples that come with win32Lib. For example, attempting to run boxes.exw results in a message stating “Win32Lib AppWindow – Fatal error. Error code 482. CreateWindow in createWindow failed. Win32Lib v0.70.4. 17-Jun-2008.” My computer then is in an unstable state and I need to restart. I suspect this recent behaviour is the result of something that has been changed by some newly installed software, but I am at a loss to know where to start looking for the cause. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

The problem is not with win32lib, rweavers, it is with Windows. When they changed over to a 64 bit system with the Vista OS, they changed the size of the handles, and that followed with each new revision up to Windows 7. I ran across this with all of the programs I wrote for Win98 or XP. When I switched all of my handle values to atoms instead of integers, the program would work fine without having to mess around with downward compatibility issues. It is for this reason that I dropped all Microsoft crap and went to Linux and FreeDOS. I don't like some corporation leading me around by the balls. What's next? Every time they want to corner the software market again, all they have to do is change the OS and all subsequent programs won't work anymore. That's exactly why all of you had to buy new peripherals, like printers or scanners, after the change over. HP, Lexmark, and the rest of them wouldn't update their drivers by increasing the handle size. The whole thing is a scam.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu