Re: Keywords and Namesapces

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...

unless you're coding in something like APL, where there's not really a sane way to type.

Matt

APL gives access to about 100 powerful functions using either one keyboard key or three keys (key + backspace + another key). It gives another 100 function or so, with a single key character called Quad character followed by English language verb.
I should have said "gave" access.
The current free interpreted only hobby level APL gives the full APL character set which is staring in front of you for ONE click
http://www.nars2000.org/
Unfortunately it lacks file functions, so it is mostly useless for business level programming or even teaching. I have toyed with the idea of my class connecting some file access DLL to it, and the source code is there to play with, but I have not taken that route yet. APL Plus has a dot net version built on top of CLI which is a full professional version, which I have not used lately. It has full Windows interface and has full 16 bit LE Unicode (like Microsoft's internal). It is pretty expensive to buy. I have lived with APL ridicule (and most APLers have lived through it) ad infinatum from people who have never used APL.
I am not here advocating APL. Just as you use words like BASIC like or better than BASIC, I am quoting about the facilities in another language as something I look at. Obviously I am using some of Euphoria and wxEuphoria instead of APL plus in my teaching, otherwise I would not be in this forum.
wxEuphoria is your baby and you can improve and modify it in your way. It does not mean that others may not give suggestions to you. And you always have had and have the full right to implement or reject those suggestions.
I am going to switch to Harbour with MiniGUI and with QT because it gives a whole new angle to programming and Harbour is now 32/64 bit and uses GCC compiler. I will also touch Excel and/or Open Office Spreadsheet at that time (time permitting). Somebody else is also going to teach Microsoft Access and possibly SQL so it will add a different level of understanding for the students.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu