Re: Programming and Martial Arts

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Shian_Lee said...

A little bit of philosophy about Euphoria,

When I was teenager I joined a Judo lessons.
I didn't have a belt. All the others had... Black belts.
The teacher and the other students ignored me.
I had to leave - because no one was willing to teach me the basics.

Shian, we have many many resources available for beginners.

First, there is, of course, the well-formatted and managed manual.

Then there are the tutorials and MiniGuides in the wiki, and TutorialsOnTheWeb.

Finally, there is the forum.

Our forum has the most friendly and responsive blackbelts in all of technology! :)

Shian_Lee said...

Euphoria don't supply a simple editor, simple documentation, simple path for beginners.

One of OpenEuphoria's philosophies is to not reinvent the wheel when it comes to the wiki and manual. For instance, there's a page about Encryption being discussed right now that intends to be a tutorial for encryption. However, there are so many resources out there already available regarding the basics of encryption, it would be a waste of our resources as a group to create another when we can just point to these other comprehensive resources. Then, our encryption page will deal solely with Euphoria implementations of encryption (for example, basic ideas on optimization, using the standard library, etc.).

Same with the editors... There are already many simple to complex editors available for you to use when programming with Euphoria, so we just created a page to list them (Editors). How simple is that? :)

Also, we have a GettingStarted page, which takes you step-by-step into programming with Euphoria. If that's not simple enough, tell us how to make it more simple for you (in a new feature-request ticket, preferably) and it will get done. I would love to see a comprehensive step-by-step list of going from a whitebelt to a blackbelt (and beyond) in Euphoria, and I think we have bits and pieces of that already.

Thank you for your input. All criticisms and compliments are welcome, so keep them coming. The active involvement of our community of programmers is most important for the improvement of Euphoria. :)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu