Re: Blat help - again

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
AndyDrummond said...

Thanks Greg, that may be it. It would be far simpler, from what I can see of Stunnel, to find a basic free smtp server which does not need TLS. I don't suppose you know of one? I'm not sure how I can find out that....

These are getting hard to find. I am not sure if hotpop.com still offers one. FastMail.FM used to as well. (obviously, you need to sign up an free email account with these providers before you can get access to their smtp servers. Open relays are BAD.)

AndyDrummond said...

I'm currently using an FTP link to my server, which works fine, but not on all computers. Some just cannot see the ftp - I open a CMD window and try ftp a.b.c.d and it just sees nothing, even though the ping works. Other machines A-OK. So I thought if I could send an email that could be simpler. Ha! Maybe not!

Sounds like a firewall is blocking the FTP port, if you can not even connect to it from some machines. (This is different from FTP connecting but then being unable to do a dir or transfer files - you can usually solve that by entering passive FTP mdoe.)

If you have control of the FTP server, see if it works if you run it on a different port (i.e. port 80 or port 443 instead of port 21).

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu