Re: Memory usage on Win32: Euphoria usage vs. what Task Manager displays

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
CoJaBo2 said...
CladStone said...

Thanks Larry, your posts are very helpful. You're right, it's pretty complex, and my mind is having to stretch a bit, but your first post even answered questions I hadn't yet asked. I found out a lot when I looked up the term "Commit Charge" which is apparently what the "Mem Usage" column in Task Manager really displays. I found there's also a "VM Size" column you can add, and it reflects my expectations much more closely, in regards to my (#1).

But even the "VM Size" stays (virtually) the same after I've cleared the big variables and freed the memory allocation, so maybe someone can give me some tips on #2 and #3.

Well I'm no expert on Windows memory allocation either, but it is likely that the Eu interpreter or maybe Windows itself is holding on to that memory for possible future use. If that is the case, I would expect that if you fill some other var with a lot of data it would reuse that memory, and you would see little or no increase in the VM size.

If you are using ver 3.1 euphoria:

When the interpreter first starts it is allocated local heap memory.
That is fixed amount that will not change while program is running.

The program allocates memory from that heap, releasing memory in the program just returns it to the heap pool.

If you are running ver. 4.0

It depends on the Operating System that you are using how euphoria handles memory.

It may use the heap or virtual memory allocation.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu