Re: Euphoria should support/be supported by HaXe through CGI in the future.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
DerekParnell said...

After seeing more of what you have to say, I'm still not 100% sure of things but you might be talking about ...

1. Add new capabiltities to Euphoria to assist in writing web applications.
    • (Not sure exactly what one needs here so more examples would help me understand)
  2. Add new capabiltities to Euphoria to assist in supporting vector-based animations in web pages.
  3. Ask the HaXe developers to support Euphoria as one of its target platforms.
  4. Add the ability to translate Euphoria applications into HaXe applications.
  5. Add the ability to translate HaXe applications into Euphoria applications.

Exactly. You understood it very well. I "mixed" it because these projects interferes each other. Well, priorities should be checked.

1. is mostly suspicious one to me; it sounds... weird none (probably because of my lack of English). Let's say it this way: if we achieve e.g. vector-based capabilities, then it will be good to have "tools environment" for those new capabilities. I agree with that.
  2. is OK. But note should be at vector-based capabilities, not web pages.
    Unfortunately, there are two "main" vector standards: SVG (+SMIL), and SWF.
    SVG standard is used often offline (e.g. Inkscape, Scribus, FontForge, Potrace, OpenOffice). SMIL (as animated SVG) standard is OK, because it is - animation standard for SVG. But IMO Euphoria is powerful enough so doesn't really needs SMIL. Danger is just to look like as "forcing new standard": there are already e.g. Salasaga, Synfig, MadSwatter, Ikivo animator, to name few. All forcing their own standard, incompatible with SMIL. My opinion is that Euphoria should have native capability (e.g. through standard library) for producing/manipulating SVGs. With SVG animation standard we should be careful.
    Other common vector standard is proprietary, mostly closed source SWF aka Flash, produced by ActionScript language. It is basically used at web pages, but more and more as a base for standalone applications through SWF2EXE "projectors". I can't see how Euphoria could extend capabilities to support SWF directly. It is possible through some CGI framework, of course. IMHO, it is possible with #4. - ability to translate Euphoria applications into HaXe "applications". HaXe - as a meta language - already has ability to translate into SWF - ActionScript (and more). If we call this meta-language application, we could translate Euphoria source (application?) to haXe application. It will end with Euphoria ability to produce (through "haXe layer") "more then ActionScript". So, why should anybody learn AS when he can do more & easily by Euphoria? smile OK, this is just a possible projection.
  3. is for must! It is also complementary with #5. I think that HaXe needs "serious", generic platform as an "anchor for earth". Through HaXe someone is able to produce SWF games like these: http://www.jeanffy.com/haxe (from Projects Using haXe). It is fun, and probably easy. But, this could be done - and much, much more - through Euphoria; but Euphoria does not need an anchor. Just "image" of "much more then ActionScript".
new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu