Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
kinz said...
DerekParnell said...
kinz said...

In standard Euphoria, "do" is used in the cycle (loop) constructs only. And in bilingual Euphoria 2.5, in Russian mode, do sounds as cycle. I just can not translate "do" of switch\select\on as "cycle" again. So 4.x series transforms to some mumbo-jumbo with these redundant do, which do not represent stgrongly some cycle. Do you see this side of new syntax problem now?

I see this as more a problem of how you chose to translate it. Doesn't Russian have a word that means "perform the following action ..."?

Yes, we have such a word, literal translation sounds as "delay". But, first, all Russian computer science tell us about cycles for these constructs, and, second, do you think I do not speak Russian?

No, he thinks you speak Russian, but that you've read more into the word "do" than is really there, and the translation seems to be affecting your interpretation of the [english] word. As a native english speaker, I can't find any connotations for "cycle" in the word "do".

From Dictionary.com (just the first two):

1. to perform (an act, duty, role, etc.): Do nothing until you hear the bell.
  2. to execute (a piece or amount of work): to do a hauling job.

These fit very well (to me) how euphoria uses do (and the first matches Derek's suggestion). The linked page lists over 50 ways that "do" can be used, but I don't see any that have any cyclical connotations.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu