Re: Starting project EuphoriaVista Interpreter

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

Other than stating that 3.1.1 caused Vista to BSOD and the issue with DEP that iis being fixed in 4.0 alpha 3 (the DEP issue also applies to XP), you have not given a clear statement on what specifically is broken on Euphoria that makes it Vista incompatible. A few basic tests were done on Vista and eu 4.0 seems to work fine there. (More testing and bug reports are welcome of course.)

Specifically, I would not run ex.exe on Vista even with DEP "off".

With DEP "on" window.exw doesn't work (but I heard that is being fixed). It returns with an error, the ex.err dump begins with:

C:\EU4a\demo\win32\window.exw:230 in procedure WinMain()  
A machine-level exception occurred during execution of this statement  
    szAppName = 2249440 
    hwnd = <no value> 
    msg = 21404904 
    wndclass = 21077648 
    WndProcAddress = 21050440 
    class = 13812233 
    id = 5 
    icon_handle = 60686645 

... called from C:\EU4a\demo\win32\window.exw:256  

Global & Local Variables 

[...] 

C:\EU4a\demo\win32\window.exw: 
    LoadIcon = 22 
    LoadCursor = 23 
    GetStockObject = 24 
    RegisterClassEx = 25 
    CreateWindow = 26 
    ShowWindow = 27 
    UpdateWindow = 28 
    GetMessage = 29 
    TranslateMessage = 30 
    DispatchMessage = 31 
    PlaySound = 32' ' 
    BeginPaint = 33'!' 
    GetClientRect = 34'"' 
    DrawText = 35'#' 
    EndPaint = 36'$' 
    PostQuitMessage = 37'%' 
    DefWindowProc = 38'&' 
    wav_file = 2446312 
    Euphoria = 21404856 
    ps = 2427656 
    rect = 2249416 
    my_title = 2446344 

window.exw:230

hwnd = c_func(CreateWindow, { 
                    0,                       -- extended style 
                    szAppName,               -- window class name 
                    my_title,                -- window caption 
                    WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,     -- window style 
                    CW_USEDEFAULT,           -- initial x position 
                    CW_USEDEFAULT,           -- initial y position 
                    CW_USEDEFAULT,           -- initial x size 
                    CW_USEDEFAULT,           -- initial y size 
                    NULL,                    -- parent window handle 
                    NULL,                    -- window menu handle 
                    0 ,                 --hInstance // program instance handle 
                    NULL})              -- creation parameters 

It fails at the Window creation. I don't know if many of the programmers have tested it with DEP "on" so that's why I'm sharing this output. With DEP "off" it will run even with sound, however, it makes the system more unstable (and vulnerable). In my opinion, it would be best to leave DEP "on" if you get Vista. I don't know how Genuine Windows protection works on WinXP, as far as I know it just disables updates. On Vista it can lock you out with only limited Internet connection, until it can be restored under Safe Mode. Changing the DEP option while working with exw.exe activated the Genuine windows protection mode. I don't know what exactly set it off, but I would be glad when exw.exe fully supports DEP "on" with Windowed Apps.

jimcbrown said...

Integration with .NET and Java isn't necessarily bad. It is very complex (and would probably need to be a separate development branch at a minimum), but it could be worthwhile. Also, JNI and Mono work on non Windows platforms, so this could benefit other OSes besides Vista. (Mono even has some API compatibility with .NET I believe.)

You have some great ideas, jcmarsh. I look forward to seeing how you progress your project with them.

Deciding which ideas I have time for and the know-how to do is a tough question for me. I can design things that will work, but they might not be the best way to do them. That's one reason I'll need help on creating something other people can make use of as well.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu