Re: Starting project EuphoriaVista Interpreter

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jcmarsh1 said...

I understand the developer's desire to keep the source code for all operating systems in one development branch, however, sometimes I feel like "I just want the darn thing to work on my computer." I was throwing out all of the options in a brainstorming manner. How I will proceed with this project at this point is still unknown. I have many ideas and have to eliminate the worst choices to find the way I want to go with it.

Other than stating that 3.1.1 caused Vista to BSOD and the issue with DEP that iis being fixed in 4.0 alpha 3 (the DEP issue also applies to XP), you have not given a clear statement on what specifically is broken on Euphoria that makes it Vista incompatible. A few basic tests were done on Vista and eu 4.0 seems to work fine there. (More testing and bug reports are welcome of course.)

jcmarsh1 said...

Vista has been out since 2006, and Microsoft still plans on building on that technology for future releases. It makes sense to design Euphoria for future releases of Windows.

uname() is already Windows 7 compatible. :P

jcmarsh1 said...

My depth of knowledge of different Windows operating systems is extensive, but I do programming to get a particular task done. I would like to see more interfaces to Windows API functions at a higher level, which is why I mentioned .NET and Java. There is a way to interface Java from C code, at least on Windows, and there is a way to integrate .NET code into a C project using MS Visual Studio.

I can eliminate those ideas from my collection of ideas for this project, and leave them for later, possibly a library.

Integration with .NET and Java isn't necessarily bad. It is very complex (and would probably need to be a separate development branch at a minimum), but it could be worthwhile. Also, JNI and Mono work on non Windows platforms, so this could benefit other OSes besides Vista. (Mono even has some API compatibility with .NET I believe.)

You have some great ideas, jcmarsh. I look forward to seeing how you progress your project with them.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu