Re: compiling euphoria 4.0

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Jeremy Cowgar said...
CChris said...

I can't disagree more. Oh well, perhaps.

They decrease productivity a lot, because it is far easier to type a couple things in the right fields (and there may be a dropdown of latest entries) which you point and ckick than typing it all on the cmd line.

I think this is a matter of what you are use to. If you never work in a command line client then I can see it being slower. I can also see that if you use a console all the time, that a GUI would be pretty slow. I personally can get things out on the keyboard 100x faster than on the mouse. I dread my mouse and only use it when I have to (which really isn't that much).

Anyway, text or GUI is something that will be debated for a long time and probably no one is right. I'd just leave it at that. To say that the console decreases productivity a lot, though, is, um, pretty misleading. It would be interesting to have a race between a die hard GUI user and a die hard text user. Who can check out a project, compile it, make a change, commit and run a demo program first. My money would be on the console user blink but... is green prettier than blue? Solve that and you may have a chance of solving text or GUI.

Jeremy

I use the tool for the job.

• If at keyboard, use keyboard.
  • If at mouse, use mouse.

Unkmar rant begins
    Most things I do will be faster by me than someone else trying to accomplish the same task. For any task that I can use the keyboard or mouse and appear to be repetative for me, I try to learn both. I can aquire the Device manage through several methods. If my hand is on the mouse, then I might right click "My computer, Properties" If at the keyboard, Hold down that special key (Super Key) between the Alt and Ctrl Keys and press the Pause key. Those are just 2 examples. Some times I highlight by mouse, other times by Shift+ Navigation (Arrows, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn). Sometimes I Right click, copy And paste, Others Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. It depends on where my hands are on what I do. It also depends on where I intend for my hands to be. I can pull up console via Mouse, however it is much faster to just use Super+R, That pulls up the Run prompt, then type CMD [Enter]. Another reason to learn so many methods. Sometimes certain things might not be available. ALT+CTRL+DEL disabled for accessing the Task Manager? Or remotely viewing? Pull up command prompt and execute taskmgr. Don't the registry editor showing in the recent or commonly used tasks? Don't want it in the MRU of the Run Prompt? Command prompt,C:\> regedit. Need to run, msconfig but don't want it in the MRU? Command prompt, C:\> start msconfig. I have hundreds of these things memorized. How? It isn't hard. Really simple. Learn one at a time over time. They add up. If I use it often, then it is easy to learn it. Move to the next one. I control Winamp by keyboard. Usually by the special Multimedia keys of my keyboard. But I'm not always using my keyboard. So I set it to make use of Global keys, I use the defaults in most all cases and Simply memorize. ALT+CTRL+Up Arrow. Increase Volume. ALT+CTRL+Right Arrow, Skip forward in song. ALT+CTRL+PgDn, Next Song. ALT+CTRL+Home, Toggle Pause. ALT+CTRL+End Stop. ALT+CTRL+Insert Start/Play. Unfortunatley, Mute is not mapped by default. sad
    Unkmar rant ends

PS: Creole Parse bug. This shouldn't be indented. <ul> isn't being closed until end of document OR in this case, when it reached the ident (:) of my signature.

Lucius L. Hilley III - Unkmar

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu