Re: OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Matt Lewis said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Matt Lewis said...
Shawn Pringle said...

...whereas Sun's Java platform only is available for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Four platforms if you count the distinct CPU implementations for Solaris.

I'm not sure how you got this list, but java runs on practically everything, including phones. There's no way we're going to get anywhere close to java.

While this may be true, there is no reason we cannot see where Euphoria will run. I suspect that we will be able to run on any intel platform that has GCC, which is quite a few. For instance, to make Euphoria run on OS X was almost cake (cross-translating gave me a bit of trouble). Most of the OS X port was making the ifdef system and platform() return OSX!

Yeah, I wasn't arguing that we shouldn't expand euphoria. Just trying to avoid delusions of grandeur. I'd add that we should be able to run on any 32-bit platform that has gcc. Moving to a 64-bit architecture will be a lot of work. 16-bits probably aren't worth it.

Matt

I went to the download section for Java Run Time Environments at https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=j2re-1.4.2_18-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

There are only four there in the list. I suppose java gets delivered some other way. It looks like only four...

I poked around a bit more but I couldn't find any other platforms named except that they have both native 64-bit and 32-bit versions for ia64 OSes as well.

Shawn

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu