1. OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

I have been keeping count of the number of platforms EUPHORIA runs on. There will be four not counting DOS32 in the svn whereas Sun's Java platform only is available for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Four platforms if you count the distinct CPU implementations for Solaris.

There are Java programs that cannont be upgraded. The developers go to the new java whereas the new java leaves the old platform behind. There used to be ten platforms. Suddenly, you can no longer support a platform because of what people at Sun decide.

Hey, Jeremy. Why don't you pass me the C code for EUPHORIA. I've got a old big endian macos box lying around. Let's see if we can do better than Java.

Shawn Pringle

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

Shawn Pringle said...

...whereas Sun's Java platform only is available for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Four platforms if you count the distinct CPU implementations for Solaris.

I'm not sure how you got this list, but java runs on practically everything, including phones. There's no way we're going to get anywhere close to java.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

Matt Lewis said...
Shawn Pringle said...

...whereas Sun's Java platform only is available for Windows, Linux and Solaris. Four platforms if you count the distinct CPU implementations for Solaris.

I'm not sure how you got this list, but java runs on practically everything, including phones. There's no way we're going to get anywhere close to java.

While this may be true, there is no reason we cannot see where Euphoria will run. I suspect that we will be able to run on any intel platform that has GCC, which is quite a few. For instance, to make Euphoria run on OS X was almost cake (cross-translating gave me a bit of trouble). Most of the OS X port was making the ifdef system and platform() return OSX!

Shawn, are you familiar with SVN? The source is available to anyone. You should be able to:

svn co http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rapideuphoria/trunk eu40 

Jeremy

4. Re: OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

Jeremy Cowgar said...
Matt Lewis said...
Shawn Pringle said...

While this may be true, there is no reason we cannot see where Euphoria will run. I suspect that we will be able to run on any intel platform that has GCC, which is quite a few. For instance, to make Euphoria run on OS X was almost cake (cross-translating gave me a bit of trouble). Most of the OS X port was making the ifdef system and platform() return OSX!

Yeah, I wasn't arguing that we shouldn't expand euphoria. Just trying to avoid delusions of grandeur. I'd add that we should be able to run on any 32-bit platform that has gcc. Moving to a 64-bit architecture will be a lot of work. 16-bits probably aren't worth it.

Matt

5. Re: OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

Matt Lewis said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Matt Lewis said...
Shawn Pringle said...

Yeah, I wasn't arguing that we shouldn't expand euphoria. Just trying to avoid delusions of grandeur. I'd add that we should be able to run on any 32-bit platform that has gcc. Moving to a 64-bit architecture will be a lot of work. 16-bits probably aren't worth it.

Matt

I went to the download section for Java Run Time Environments at https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=j2re-1.4.2_18-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

There are only four there in the list. I suppose java gets delivered some other way. It looks like only four...

I poked around a bit more but I couldn't find any other platforms named except that they have both native 64-bit and 32-bit versions for ia64 OSes as well.

Shawn

6. Re: OT: Write Once Run Anywhere?

Shawn Pringle said...
Matt Lewis said...
Shawn Pringle said...

I went to the download section for Java Run Time Environments at https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=j2re-1.4.2_18-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

There are only four there in the list. I suppose java gets delivered some other way. It looks like only four...

I poked around a bit more but I couldn't find any other platforms named except that they have both native 64-bit and 32-bit versions for ia64 OSes as well.

Shawn

Java runs on a lot more platforms (for example my cell phone with 2K of ram supports Java). This isn't the full java though - Java in embedded environments doesn't support the full JDK and sometimes not even the full JRE.

Apple probably mantains the version for OS X/Darwin (its possible the Linux version might "just work" when recompiles on there, as is the case for FreeBSD...) and maintained previous versions for MacOS before they (the MacOS versions, I mean) became obsolete.

There was a Linux PPC port of Java from IBM. Java has probably been ported to other architetures that are now obsolete and rarely used (who has a DEC Alpha these days?).

Still, for the most part the only thing limiting us is the lack of a test lab and spare time. Otherwise someone could probably port Euphoria as far and wide. (Well, perhaps not the micro embedded environments. That'd probably be quite a bit more work.)

A port of Euphoria to Solaris/x86/gcc is probably a matter of fixing some ifdefs and recompiling.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu