Re: Compiling EUPHORIA 4.0 on WIN32: rev.e and dos targets in makefile.wat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

[quote Shawn Pringle B.Sc.] Hello, it's me again. I finally worked out what was going on with compiling.

If you download the latest svn. You're include directory will be that of the latest svn. However, the include directory has to match that of your current interpreter. Now, you cannot compile 4.0 from 3.0 because the interpreter itself is written in some version of 4.0. If you have version n in your source tree you need to have version n-1 in your binary and include directories.

Shawn Pringle B.Sc. said...

Therefore to build from sources your fool proof method should be: Get svn version 1. Compile against the 3.0 include and binaries. Then create a buildbin directory for the resulting binaries and point the EUDIR to the trunk of the svn. Put your buildbin directory at the front of your PATH variable.

Now for each binary version n, update include to version n. Update source to version n+1. Make. Then copy the binaries of verison n+1 to your buildbin directory. Continue by induction. ;)

Actually, this doesn't always work. Sometimes we get a bug in, and don't notice until several revisions later. At this point it is too late, and nobody can build the beast. :)

Ofcourse this is too much for most. So, eubins to the rescue. You can download precompiled for the DOS/Windows platform. Where are the DOS32 binaries?

They'll be added soon. The reason they were not in there already, was because Vista doesn't support running the tools needed to build ex.exe

If there are no DOS32 binaries then the makefile should employ the WIN32 binary to translate for the DOS32 binaries.

There will be soon.

Using exwc to build ex.exe is not correct since it means FreeDOS users can not build euphoria. On Vista, using exwc isn't enough to get ex.exe completely built.It doesn't appear to be possible to build ex.exe on Vista directly.

rev.e doesn't get updated with the makefile.wat file. Perhaps it works fine on ntfs, and vfat file systems but it doesn't work on mine as I am using a different file system than these two.

Perhaps if some Windows users changed the rev.e line to:

rev.e : .\.svn\entries $(EX) revget.ex .svn\entries

and see if it works properly on the Windows 9x series computers we can use this method instead of looking for svn~1? We could make revget.ex look in two places or is it better to work this through the makefile and config.wat?

Shawn Pringle

exwc works fine with that on 98. It is ex.exe which needs the svn~1 name, but since the rev.e system hasn't been fixed to work with FreeDOS yet, I'm not too concerned about this yet. This area needs more work.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu