1. Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024) COMPLETED

23 May 2024

I noticed an uptick in web crawler activity causing some significant performance loss on the new server.

At one point MariaDB went out-of-memory and crashed. (Thanks to Bruce for sending me an email this morning!)

I've added some additional tweaks/blocks to mitigate. Seems better now. I will continue to monitor closely.

18 May 2024

All done! We're now running on DigitalOcean. The price for a small "Droplet" is comparable to our previous host. (About $8-9/mo.)

We have fewer cores/less memory in total but the service is overall faster IMHO. I've also made a few very minor tweaks to the help with performance.

17 May 2024

Unfortunately our web hosting service (Hyper Expert) will be shutting down at the end of next week.

As a result the website will be offline for some time this weekend while I work on migrating to a new host.

-Greg

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024)

That's annoying, and a shame. Do you need some cash?

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024)

ChrisB said...

That's annoying, and a shame. Do you need some cash?

Not specifically, but if you want to donate we'll put it to good use.

-Greg

4. Re: Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024)

Could this be related to rapideuphoria.com being down?

5. Re: Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024)

jimcbrown said...

Could this be related to rapideuphoria.com being down?

Not entirely. The original event that caused that to go down was here: https://openeuphoria.org/forum/138363.wc

Since then, I reached out to Rob Craig asking him to repoint his domain glue records to my DNS servers but I have not heard back. I'll reach out again.

-Greg

6. Re: Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024) COMPLETED

Here's a fun graph showing the uptick in CPU usage since we moved. This correlates with an increase in web crawler activity.

MariaDB ran out of memory around 03:00 EDT this morning. Notice the huge rise and steep drop. It was down for about 4-5 hours until I restart the service.

https://i.imgur.com/2P3W2hD.png

See first message for more updates.

-Greg

P.S. if the forum seems faster now it's because I added an index to a single column in the messages table that brought the CPU usage down from 20-30% to 2-3%.

7. Re: Web Hosting Migration This Weekend (18 May 2024) COMPLETED

ghaberek said...

P.S. if the forum seems faster now it's because I added an index to a single column in the messages table that brought the CPU usage down from 20-30% to 2-3%.

Thank you, Greg! I'm not sure where OpenEuphoria would be without you!

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu