1. Exercism launch really really soon

All it takes is for one boolean in to go to true.

About all that's left, and we can launch without it, is the syntax highlighting. I've noticed the VSCode plugin uses a TextMate setup. I can't quite figure out what Exercism uses: I see highlightjs in some places and CodeMirror in others.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Exercism launch really really soon

axtens_bruce said...

All it takes is for one boolean in to go to true.

About all that's left, and we can launch without it, is the syntax highlighting. I've noticed the VSCode plugin uses a TextMate setup. I can't quite figure out what Exercism uses: I see highlightjs in some places and CodeMirror in others.

Looks like they already have a few custom codemirror and highlightjs repositories.

Can you find or ask for some clarification on where highlightjs or CodeMirror might be used?

I'm guessing highlightjs is for static highlighting and CodeMirror is (obviously) the code editor.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Exercism launch really really soon

More details here

4. Re: Exercism launch really really soon

ghaberek said...

Looks like they already have a few custom codemirror (and highlightjs) repositories.

I just took a closer look at codemirror and have to say I'm seriously under-impressed. I'm not phased one bit by the nitty-gritty language-specific changes, it's the overall thing. Besides, the results are not exactly stunning, at best barely passable (hjs is at least 700 times better than cm). I kinda realised there is no quickstart guide for one very good reason: there is no quickstart. I finally found this in the midst of all the arrogant codswallop:

https://codemirror.net/docs/guide/ said...

The packages are distributed as ES6 modules. This means that it is not currently practical to run the library without some kind of bundler (which packages up a modular program into a single big JavaScript file) or module loader.

And that completely puts the kibosh on the whole adventure. Unless someone else can somehow take one of those custom exercism/codemirror components and put together a basic edit-run package I can actually run locally.
(the elixir one is both the simplest and has the largest number of similar packages I could perhaps crib bits 'n pieces from, but I'd take either of the other two if that's any easier or perhaps more precisely actually possible.)

PS: I can actually run cm5, but exercism has just "upgraded" (hah!) to cm6, so that's not going to fly, is it?
PPS: A couple of months ago I managed to publish my hjs effort to npm, but it took me over a year to figure out how. Just so you know.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu