1. Getting Euphoria Up and Running

Hi Folks,

Been out of Euphoria a long time. So, glad to see it has a new lease of life as OpenEuphoria.

However, I can't get it to work!

I've installed the latest version. I have manually added EUDIR and EUINC to my Environment variables. The path points to the Euphoria "bin" directory but, when I launch a CLI window, navigate to the Tutorial directory and type

EUI hello.ex

it simply displays the source of "hello.ex" in the Euphoria editor. I can't seem to get any of the programs to run.

I know I'm doing something dumb. Any ideas?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

cran0g said...

Any ideas?

Install Phix instead... (it is a clone of and largely compatible with Euphoria)

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

Yes, but Phix produces JS, does it not? I'm not interested in that. I wanted an interpreter to produce standalone stuff like it used to.

Other folks must have this running on their machines.

Any help, folks? It should run straight out of the box. I've checked the cfg file and it's pointing to the correct direcotries but eui refuses to run the demo code, only show it in an editor. Why?

4. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

Did you download Eu 4.0.5 or 4.1.0 beta? Either one should work fine. 4.1.0 beta has some extra features in it.

puts(1,"Hello World") 

Typing eui hello.ex in the console window should display Hello World after running. I notice in your original post, you put EUI in all caps. Did you try it without all caps, like all lowercase? It works for me using all lower-case.

5. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

Thanks, Icy.

Do you know - I finally figured it out. And I was right - it was dumb.

Turns out, the program I was using for the test - hello.ex - seems to have a bug in it, as far as eui is concerned. That's why it wasn't running. Instead, it calls the editor. I had never used that editor before and so couldn't understand why it was there - no error message - just the editor pointing to a specific line.

I wrote my own little hello world and it ran fine.

What a plonker.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

6. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

cran0g said...

Yes, but Phix produces JS, does it not?

Well it has just been enhanced to be able to produce JS, as released in July, but prior to that it was and will continue to be an interpreter/compiler on the desktop.
Should you happen to be thinking of targetting a Raspberry Pi, or any arm-based kit, stick with OE, otherwise I cannot think of a good reason not to give it a go!

7. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

petelomax said...
cran0g said...

Yes, but Phix produces JS, does it not?

Well it has just been enhanced to be able to produce JS, as released in July, but prior to that it was and will continue to be an interpreter/compiler on the desktop.
Should you happen to be thinking of targetting a Raspberry Pi, or any arm-based kit, stick with OE, otherwise I cannot think of a good reason not to give it a go!

+1 to that

Chris

8. Re: Getting Euphoria Up and Running

cran0g said...

I've installed the latest version.

What do you mean by "latest version?" We unfortunately have several different places to download from and 4.0 is still the "official" release listed everywhere, but 4.1 has been available since 2015. Which did you use?

cran0g said...

I have manually added EUDIR and EUINC to my Environment variables.

These environment variables aren't necessary if you're using 4.0 and later. All you need is to point PATH to the bin directory and then update the paths in eu.cfg as needed. No harm in keeping them around either.

cran0g said...

The path points to the Euphoria "bin" directory but, when I launch a CLI window, navigate to the Tutorial directory and type

EUI hello.ex

it simply displays the source of "hello.ex" in the Euphoria editor. I can't seem to get any of the programs to run.

This is really weird. What happens if you just type in eui and press Enter? It should just display the version of Euphoria and exit. Try changing to the Euphoria bin directory and run eui.exe from there. What happens then?

-Greg

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu