1. C Libraries/Wrappers

Hello all,

Just wondering if there are any useful C librares that can be in wrapped for Euphoria that I haven't already done so. Also, when the next release has supports for structs, would it be easier or possible to wrap CPlusPlus libraries?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: C Libraries/Wrappers

Icy_Viking said...

Also, when the next release has supports for structs, would it be easier or possible to wrap CPlusPlus libraries?

Unfortunately, the ability to interface with C++ goes well beyond structs. If that were the only boundary, we could be doing it today with manual peek/poke calls.

You'll have to contend with compiler-specific name mangling and other ABI differences like class constructors, polymorphism, exceptions, and so on.

Here's an article on how the D language accomplishes this: Interfacing to C++. They have to make a few assumptions and concessions, and even then they already have a compatible OOP syntax that mirrors C++ directly.

Matt had made some headway with doing this manually in the earliest versions of wxEuphoria, but he eventually moved to a more maintainable shim library approach instead.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: C Libraries/Wrappers

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

Also, when the next release has supports for structs, would it be easier or possible to wrap CPlusPlus libraries?

Unfortunately, the ability to interface with C++ goes well beyond structs. If that were the only boundary, we could be doing it today with manual peek/poke calls.

You'll have to contend with compiler-specific name mangling and other ABI differences like class constructors, polymorphism, exceptions, and so on.

Here's an article on how the D language accomplishes this: Interfacing to C++. They have to make a few assumptions and concessions, and even then they already have a compatible OOP syntax that mirrors C++ directly.

Matt had made some headway with doing this manually in the earliest versions of wxEuphoria, but he eventually moved to a more maintainable shim library approach instead.

-Greg

Ah I see. Well at least with the basic Euphoria struct to be coming with the next version, it should be wrapper to wrap basic C structs and modify some existing Euphoria wrappers like SDL and SFML.

4. Re: C Libraries/Wrappers

Icy_Viking said...

Hello all,

Just wondering if there are any useful C librares that can be in wrapped for Euphoria that I haven't already done so. Also, when the next release has supports for structs, would it be easier or possible to wrap CPlusPlus libraries?

Please be satisfied with C libraries. You are doing an excellent job with them.

5. Re: C Libraries/Wrappers

Bhupen1277 said...
Icy_Viking said...

Hello all,

Thank you Bhupen1277, I was just wondering if there was other libraries I could work on. I currently work on the ones I have already made. I also update them when a update for current library becomes available.

6. Re: C Libraries/Wrappers

Icy_Viking said...
Bhupen1277 said...
Icy_Viking said...

Hello all,

Thank you Bhupen1277, I was just wondering if there was other libraries I could work on. I currently work on the ones I have already made. I also update them when a update for current library becomes available.

eSpeak text to speech http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu