1. bind vs. interp on Windows 10

I've noticed a problem, and hope someone can confirm or not.

puts(1,"Hello World!\n") 

This, of course, runs instantly. When bound, however, it takes more than 1 second before anything happens. Feels like nearly 2.

Running in compatibilty mode with Windows 7 or 8 makes no difference.

Is my Windows broken? Or does this happen to anyone else?

(Eu 4.1 beta 2)

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: bind vs. interp on Windows 10

Sounds like your av is giving it a once-over, try watching task manager while it happens - windows defender lists as "Antimalware Service Executable".

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: bind vs. interp on Windows 10

petelomax said...

Sounds like your av is giving it a once-over, try watching task manager while it happens - windows defender lists as "Antimalware Service Executable".

I put an extra line into the test:

puts(1,"Hello World!\n") 
while 1 do end while 

So that eu remains running after completing the difficult task of saying hello.

When run via eui hello, the Antimalware isn't triggered, and the memory/cpu load graph remains at a plateau until I kill eu.

When bound and run as hello.exe, the Antimalware is triggered like a college student without a warm puppy. The graph peaks, then settles down to the same even level as before.

It makes sense that Windows sees hello.exe as a foreign (meaning "we didn't sell it") program, and has to check. I suppose the same thing would happen if I wrote hello.c, since Microsoft would be unacquainted with that program, also.

Now, short of using a big hammer, is there any way to turn off the Aunty Mule ware? This computer isn't connected to the web. So I'm not particularly worried about getting a virus.

Edit: there is plenty of complaints on the internet, I'll try some of the suggestions to turn it off. Thanks for pointing me to the cause.

4. Re: bind vs. interp on Windows 10

Open Windows Defender (aka Windows Security), select Virus & threat protection (1st option) /settings (2nd option) /exclusions (5th option).
From there you can add file/folder/file type/process, not that I've tested any.
I suppose the proper way is to exclude build and test, but not release folders.

5. Re: bind vs. interp on Windows 10

petelomax said...

Open Windows Defender (aka Windows Security), select Virus & threat protection (1st option) /settings (2nd option) /exclusions (5th option).
From there you can add file/folder/file type/process, not that I've tested any.
I suppose the proper way is to exclude build and test, but not release folders.

Yes, I tried excluding the file - didn't do any good. I'll try the other ways. Thanks!

6. Re: bind vs. interp on Windows 10

Thanks. I ran into this problem while trying to find out why EuGTK seems to run more slowly on Windows than on Linux. After inserting some timing statements, I discovered that it isn't really *running* much slower, it's just *starting* slower, which gives the appearance of running more slowly.

The actual times, once Windows decides to let me run my own program, are very close:

Windows Linux
load Eu includes 0.156 Load Eu includes 0.3
build interface 0.031 build interface 0.01 [1]
startup GTK 0.813 [2] startup GTK 0.06
load big file 0.031 load big file 0.02
total 1.031 sec total 0.39

[1] I was surprised that, as complex as EuGTK is, Euphoria was able to process and link all those GTK calls, set up a registry, and create the various controls in such a short time. Pretty powerful!

[2] While it's obvious that Linux is faster here (since it's working with native shared libraries vs. the GTK shim), nobody would notice the extra six tenths of a sec or so that Windows needs - if that were all that's involved.

All the extra startup (close to 4 sec when bound) seems to be before Euphoria has even started.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu