1. Set screen size for Ubuntu

Using Euphoria 4.1 and Ubuntu 18.1

If the terminal window is pre-stretched to the desired size, then the Euphoria displays can use the new size.
How do you tell Ubuntu in advance to use a much bigger size than the standard terminal window?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Set screen size for Ubuntu

alrobnett said...

Using Euphoria 4.1 and Ubuntu 18.1

If the terminal window is pre-stretched to the desired size, then the Euphoria displays can use the new size.
How do you tell Ubuntu in advance to use a much bigger size than the standard terminal window?

I use the gnome-terminal. In WEE's run menu choose "set terminal emulator", then select or enter "gnome-terminal -x" without the quotes.

Next select "run terminal emulator" from the run menu. From the terminal's "terminal" menu select "Preferences", then select "Profiles". Select "New", Then enter in the name you want to call the terminal profile for your program, perhaps "Euphoria_1". Adjust the initial terminal size column and rows boxes to your specification. Adjust the other parameters to your preferences.

From the "terminal" menu select "Preferences" then "Profiles" and at the bottom of "Profiles" menu select the profile that you just created as the profile to be used when launching a new terminal.

Hope this helps.

Regards

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

Thanks, Senator. My Ubuntu is significantly different from yours, but your tips enabled me to find a menu which may do the trick. Choices for terminal window size were limited; the largest was 132x43. There was no option to assign this to a specific profile. I hope it will just remain fixed. Thanks again, Allen

4. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

should get you a nicer terminal, with up to 256 columns and 256 rows!

5. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

I just tried that,Irv. The screen message says:

gnome-terminal is already the newest version (3.28.2-1ubuntu1~18.04.1)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded

The terminal menu on terminal still gives 132 x 43 as the largest window. Should I look elsewhere?

6. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

alrobnett said...

I just tried that,Irv. The screen message says:

gnome-terminal is already the newest version (3.28.2-1ubuntu1~18.04.1)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded

The terminal menu on terminal still gives 132 x 43 as the largest window. Should I look elsewhere?

On Linux Mint, you just right-click on the terminal icon on the task bar, then select Options/Edit. A nice "Properties" box will popup, where you can change the Command: item to gnome-terminal.

Or, from the main menu, select Preferences/Preferred Applications That produces a dialog where you can choose, among other things, the terminal program you prefer.

If that fails, you can try the instructions here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/set-the-default-terminal-emulator-on-ubuntu-linux/

Be aware that when you choose the terminal emulator in WEE, be sure it reads gnome-terminal -e
The -e is important.

7. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

OK...I have installed the latest Ubuntu 18.04-1, and it does come with gnome-terminal as the default, and from the Edit/Preferences menu, you can select up to 511 columns by 511 rows. I don't know where you found the 132 by 43 numbers!

Now, using my eu 4.1 .deb package, I very quickly installed Euphoria, and my EuGTK programs run fine - except for that message regarding no ifconfig. I will fix that in the next few days - or can supply details on how to fix it yourself (by just commenting out one line of code).

Now, a question for anyone using Ubuntu: on every other Linux distribution I've used, you can "associate" all your *.ex files with eui, so they run just by clicking on them. Nowhere can I find a way to do that with the latest Ubuntu - not even on-line.

If anyone can tell me how to change that, I won't have to throw this Ubuntu DVD into the trash.

8. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

irv said...

Now, a question for anyone using Ubuntu: on every other Linux distribution I've used, you can "associate" all your *.ex files with eui, so they run just by clicking on them. Nowhere can I find a way to do that with the latest Ubuntu - not even on-line.

If anyone can tell me how to change that, I won't have to throw this Ubuntu DVD into the trash.

Right click, properties, open with - simples.

Pete

9. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

petelomax said...
irv said...

Right click, properties, open with - simples.

Pete

No, sorry - that works on almost any distro I've tried, but the latest Ubuntu only lists programs *ubuntu* has installed, and the Add button is disabled and the space where you could specify, say /usr/local/bin/eui does not exist. Searching online, all suggestions I tried did not work.

10. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

After hours of searching, and following blind leads, I've found a solution:

What is, in other distros, a simple matter of clicking a button and typing in the name of a program, in the latest Ubuntu requires:

As root, create a euphoria.desktop file in /usr/share/applications, containing:

[Desktop Entry] 
Name=Euphoria 
Comment=4.1 
Exec=/usr/local/bin/eui 
Type=Application 
StartupNotify=false 
Terminal=false 
Categories=Programming; 
As root, edit /etc/gnome/defaults.list, changing: text/plain=gedit.desktop to: text/plain=euphoria.desktop

All this work will set eui as the default to run *any* plain text file, unless you select "Open with other application" from a right click, and select Text Editor or Geany...

And Euphoria *still* does not show up on the list of available applications.

That, and the fact that there are no useful programs available from the Ubuntu Software repository, means this DVD is now in the trash.

11. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

Maybe there is some amount of bias there, but it seems to me that there are some pretty good arguments in favor of my replacing Ubuntu with Mint.

12. ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

irv said...

After hours of searching, and following blind leads, I've found a solution:

What is, in other distros, a simple matter of clicking a button and typing in the name of a program, in the latest Ubuntu requires:

As root, create a euphoria.desktop file in /usr/share/applications, containing:

[Desktop Entry] 
Name=Euphoria 
Comment=4.1 
Exec=/usr/local/bin/eui 
Type=Application 
StartupNotify=false 
Terminal=false 
Categories=Programming; 
As root, edit /etc/gnome/defaults.list, changing: text/plain=gedit.desktop to: text/plain=euphoria.desktop

All this work will set eui as the default to run *any* plain text file, unless you select "Open with other application" from a right click, and select Text Editor or Geany...

And Euphoria *still* does not show up on the list of available applications.

That, and the fact that there are no useful programs available from the Ubuntu Software repository, means this DVD is now in the trash.

We are creatures of habit. I get along with Ubuntu just fine, but there was a learning curve. The Synaptic Package Manager which is available from the default from the default "Ubuntu Software" package manager resolves many, if not all, of the deficiencies which have been reported. I believe The problem is more the dinky default package manager than the actual Ubuntu Software repository.

From Synaptic I've installed GCC, and GTK and many other packages including PCManFM 1.2.4 which has allowed me to associate Euphoria files with the interpreter and install Euphoria as on its "Open With" List. It now seems that I have these features on Ubuntu's default file manager as well. I remember fiddling around a bit to get it all to happen though.

I'll probably stick with UBUNTU, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Irv's programming expertise and opinions. If I were starting out again I'd probably go with MINT.

Happy New Year to all!

Ken Rhodes

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu