ThanksRe: Set screen size for Ubuntu

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
irv said...

After hours of searching, and following blind leads, I've found a solution:

What is, in other distros, a simple matter of clicking a button and typing in the name of a program, in the latest Ubuntu requires:

As root, create a euphoria.desktop file in /usr/share/applications, containing:

[Desktop Entry] 
Name=Euphoria 
Comment=4.1 
Exec=/usr/local/bin/eui 
Type=Application 
StartupNotify=false 
Terminal=false 
Categories=Programming; 
As root, edit /etc/gnome/defaults.list, changing: text/plain=gedit.desktop to: text/plain=euphoria.desktop

All this work will set eui as the default to run *any* plain text file, unless you select "Open with other application" from a right click, and select Text Editor or Geany...

And Euphoria *still* does not show up on the list of available applications.

That, and the fact that there are no useful programs available from the Ubuntu Software repository, means this DVD is now in the trash.

We are creatures of habit. I get along with Ubuntu just fine, but there was a learning curve. The Synaptic Package Manager which is available from the default from the default "Ubuntu Software" package manager resolves many, if not all, of the deficiencies which have been reported. I believe The problem is more the dinky default package manager than the actual Ubuntu Software repository.

From Synaptic I've installed GCC, and GTK and many other packages including PCManFM 1.2.4 which has allowed me to associate Euphoria files with the interpreter and install Euphoria as on its "Open With" List. It now seems that I have these features on Ubuntu's default file manager as well. I remember fiddling around a bit to get it all to happen though.

I'll probably stick with UBUNTU, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Irv's programming expertise and opinions. If I were starting out again I'd probably go with MINT.

Happy New Year to all!

Ken Rhodes

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu