1. wordwrap during console input

I open a dos console, then i tried gets(), getc(), and prompt_string(), but cannot enter text past the right edge of the screen. Text:wrap() applies only to puts()ing, graphics:wrap(1) has no effect. How can i gets() a line of text longer than the console has columns? Wrapping is the normal default in a regular dos cmd window.

I switched to using get_key(), and re-puts()ing the buffer to the screen with each keystroke.

Kat

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: wordwrap during console input

katsmeow said...

I open a dos console, then i tried gets(), getc(), and prompt_string(), but cannot enter text past the right edge of the screen. Text:wrap() applies only to puts()ing, graphics:wrap(1) has no effect. How can i gets() a line of text longer than the console has columns? Wrapping is the normal default in a regular dos cmd window.

I switched to using get_key(), and re-puts()ing the buffer to the screen with each keystroke.

Kat

I've noticed this happens with euiw.exe but not eui.exe. Text wraps fine for me with gets() on eui.exe up to 255 characters. Tested on both 4.0.5 and 4.1.0 dev, 32-bit on Windows 7. If you're running from a command prompt, are you using eui.exe? Is that where you're seeing this behavior? Which version of OE and Windows are you running on? (I am wondering if changes to the way Windows handles console apps has changed this behavior.)

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: wordwrap during console input

Greg, using

inputline = gets(0) 
return inputline 
the input line stops at the end of the first screen row at the right side. If column count is 80, i can enter the 80th character, but the cursor stays at the 80th column as well. This is using eui or euiw , version Euphoria-10-Feb-2013 (the last stable release i am aware of).

However, using
-- get user text typed or pasted to input region at bottom of console window 
-- test is echoed to screen as it's typed 
-- 4 lines max, and only [backspace] is working 
function get_text() 
sequence inputline = "" 
integer colflag = 0 
while 1 do 
--trace(1) 
integer n = get_key() 
if n != -1 then 
  if find(n,{10,13}) -- [enter] 
    then return inputline 
    else if equal(n,8) -- 8 = [backspace] 
           then  
                junk = get_position() 
                if not equal(junk[2],1) then 
                  position(junk[1],junk[2]-1) 
                  puts(1,' ') 
                  position(junk[1],junk[2]-1) 
                  inputline = inputline[1..$-1] 
                end if 
                if equal(junk[2],1) then 
		  position(junk[1]-1,col_count) 
		  puts(1,' ') 
		  position(junk[1]-1,col_count) 
		  inputline = inputline[1..$-1] 
                end if 

else  
                inputline &= n 
                if (length(inputline) > (4*col_count)-2) then return inputline end if 
                junk = get_position() 
                if equal(junk[2],col_count) then colflag = 1 end if 
                position(row_count-3,1) 
                puts(1,inputline) 
                if colflag then  
                  position(junk[1]+1,1) 
                  colflag = 0 
                end if 
         end if        
  end if 
end if   
sleep(0) 
end while 
return "" 
end function --get_text() 

-- cursor go left  = 1016384 
-- cursor go right = 1016416 
i can enter 4 screenlines 80 chars wide, and most likely as many screen lines as i want. But i also don't have mouse or cursor controls. I also coded a backspace function (ASerpa's Bug Ticket #915), as you can see, and i should recode the if-stack as a case-stack. I'm not really looking for much as a gui (it's only an irc bot interface, not a real client), but i did expect as much as i find in a dos console window, like when doing a netstat or wget or dir or mogrify operation.

Kat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu