1. Euphoria for Android

Icy_Viking said...

A mobile version of Euphoria would be great, but it would also take alot of time to develop and probably need new developers who are familiar with mobile development. It would be pretty awesome to run Euphoria on Android. I also agree Java does not work with my thinking. When I found Euphoria, I was hooked, it soon became my favorite programming language.

I believe most Euphoria users have the same feelings and wishes.

I googled for "Euphoria on Android" and found that apparently there is already such a project, here: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/eu/

Does anyone have experience with it?

Is Android support on our roadmap?

Thanks

GreenEuphorian

P.S. [Slightly off-topic:] while we wait for an Android version of Euphoria, we might want to give this a try:

http://basic4ppc.com/index.html

It's Basic for Android. Probably the simplest way to program on Android.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria for Android

GreenEuphorian said...
Icy_Viking said...

A mobile version of Euphoria would be great, but it would also take alot of time to develop and probably need new developers who are familiar with mobile development. It would be pretty awesome to run Euphoria on Android. I also agree Java does not work with my thinking. When I found Euphoria, I was hooked, it soon became my favorite programming language.

I believe most Euphoria users have the same feelings and wishes.

I googled for "Euphoria on Android" and found that apparently there is already such a project, here: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/eu/

Does anyone have experience with it?

Is Android support on our roadmap?

Thanks

GreenEuphorian

P.S. [Slightly off-topic:] while we wait for an Android version of Euphoria, we might want to give this a try:

http://basic4ppc.com/index.html

It's Basic for Android. Probably the simplest way to program on Android.

I am not an Android developer, nor do I understand many of the intricacies of Euphoria.
I think however, that with the newly released Android Studio 1.0 for Windows and Linux, you could create multiple Euphoria apps, such as EuMath, EuFile, etc etc and interlink them for a finished product EuAndMix which should work.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria for Android

Bump.

Sigh. I made the original post over a month ago, but no one seems to be interested in this topic.

Is Android support on the roadmap?

4. Re: Euphoria for Android

GreenEuphorian said...

Bump.

Sigh. I made the original post over a month ago, but no one seems to be interested in this topic.

Is Android support on the roadmap?

Depends on what you mean by "Android support" - the website you found is the state of the art, currently.

You can run Euphoria on the Android today, but only inside a terminal emulator. (I've personally done this on a Nook Color.) Sort of like installing and running busybox for Android.

Getting a full fledge Android app that runs independently (i.e. creates its own terminal window), shows up in your Applications menu, and made available from Google's Play Store, is another thing entirely.

I'm not aware of any objections to getting all this to happen, and if someone had a patch ready we'd probably commit it and release it. But the current level of Android support is all that's officially on the roadmap.

5. Re: Euphoria for Android

jimcbrown said...

the website you found is the state of the art, currently.

Sad but true!

jimcbrown said...

You can run Euphoria on the Android today, but only inside a terminal emulator. [...] Sort of like installing and running busybox for Android.

Im doing this right now im my rooted-with-busybox Android arm tablet. The jiggawatt exu version. A terminal and some text editor app are sufficient for me at the moment.

I've downloaded the euphoria-arm source package, and tried to cross-compile using arm-gcc. I did the process wrong, seems to me a chrooted environment mimicking the android filesystem tree is needed. I could do this with some effort and adb, or download the NDK and let it at the google hands, but i've made my mind at see what its possible with the CppDroid app (free, come with gcc, IDE to C/C++ and sorted libraries, avaliable at google play).

Yes, my plan now its try to compile Euphoria inside my Android arm tablet, and then, just after failing again, try a decent automated in-chroot-mimicking-android cross-compilation process.

Masochistic? Overcomplicated? I dont know. I just want to do this with the tools i already have, i.e. without installing the giant Android NDK. If could be possible to resolve it writing a shell script or three, why do a 1GB download/more than 1h setup, (at least for me) stressful, used-once process? What do you people think?

6. Re: Euphoria for Android

acEduardo said...

Yes, my plan now its try to compile Euphoria inside my Android arm tablet,

Masochistic? Overcomplicated? I dont know. What do you people think?

I have done this before. It took a while but otherwise wasn't that bad.

7. Re: Euphoria for Android

acEduardo said...

Masochistic? Overcomplicated? I dont know. I just want to do this with the tools i already have, i.e. without installing the giant Android NDK. If could be possible to resolve it writing a shell script or three, why do a 1GB download/more than 1h setup, (at least for me) stressful, used-once process? What do you people think?

I think you're going to have an awfully hard time creating an actual app with Euphoria. The frontend of Android runs through the Android Runtime (ART) which is all Java based and cannot be interfaced via other components (i.e. native C/C++). The Android NDK (Native Development Kit) only allows for creating parts of the application in C/C++. The frontend must always be written in Java.

Android NDK said...

The Android NDK is a toolset that lets you implement parts of your app using native-code languages such as C and C++. For certain types of apps, this can help you reuse existing code libraries written in those languages.

-Greg

8. Re: Euphoria for Android

ghaberek said...
acEduardo said...

I think you're going to have an awfully hard time creating an actual app with Euphoria. The frontend of Android runs through the Android Runtime (ART) which is all Java based and cannot be interfaced via other components (i.e. native C/C++). The Android NDK (Native Development Kit) only allows for creating parts of the application in C/C++. The frontend must always be written in Java.

Android NDK said...

The Android NDK is a toolset that lets you implement parts of your app using native-code languages such as C and C++. For certain types of apps, this can help you reuse existing code libraries written in those languages.

-Greg

There's a python app for Android though, isn't there? How does that work?

9. Re: Euphoria for Android

jimcbrown said...

There's a python app for Android though, isn't there? How does that work?

Check out this SO answer for a good explanation: http://stackoverflow.com/a/28001298/2300395

-Greg

10. Re: Euphoria for Android

ghaberek said...

I found this: DroidScript: Android apps with JavaScript. If they can, someone can too!! :D

At the moment, just compiling the Euphoria interpreter will be a great victory already.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu