1. Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

Hi All, in Euphoria archive (http://www.rapideuphoria.com/dat.htm) I have found some apps to manage databases (EDB) and I tried almost all of them but they are outdated and don't work. Depending on your experience what do you use to manage EDB? Thank you.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

jilani said...

Hi All, in Euphoria archive (http://www.rapideuphoria.com/dat.htm) I have found some apps to manage databases (EDB) and I tried almost all of them but they are outdated and don't work. Depending on your experience what do you use to manage EDB? Thank you.

Can i ask again, like elevating this to a trouble ticket, that all archive submissions be intact standalone code, with all includes, able to run on a bare new install of Euphoria? This scenario happens often, and more often than people take the time to ask about it on this forum. I'll bet most people new to Euphoria run into this issue and just leave.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

jilani said...

in Euphoria archive (http://www.rapideuphoria.com/dat.htm) I have found some apps to manage databases (EDB) and I tried almost all of them but they are outdated and don't work. Depending on your experience what do you use to manage EDB? Thank you.

EDS is a type of NoSQL database. In fact, EDS actually predates that term by several years! Specifically, it is a table-based and ordered key-value store for keeping Euphoria objects on disk. You can read more about it in the manual: EDS. To me, EDS is one of those systems that is really best to learn by "getting your hands dirty" right away. The API is very simple straight-forward, which makes it a breeze to learn. Once you get the hang of it, you don't really need a management utility of any sort. In fact, it's often more difficult to try and "fit" Euphoria objects into a GUI-based utility than it is to simply manage them in your own code.

-Greg

4. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

useless_ said...

Can i ask again, like elevating this to a trouble ticket, that all archive submissions be intact standalone code, with all includes, able to run on a bare new install of Euphoria? This scenario happens often, and more often than people take the time to ask about it on this forum. I'll bet most people new to Euphoria run into this issue and just leave.

While I agree entirely with your suggestion, I must point out that:

1. this isn't really helpful to the OP's questions

2. this really is a point to be brought up with Rob Craig since that is still his site

Now, I would suggest that this site maintain its own archive of sorts, but I won't, because I would actually like to maintain my own code repository on my recently adopted site that is still under development. Here is a blurb from that new site's not-quite-yet homepage:

usingEuphoria said...

This site is a place where you can find resources for learning and using Euphoria. We provide complete descriptive articles focused on learning by example. This offers a stronger learning opportunity than the content available in The Archive which, while comprehensive, is becoming more and more outdated with every new version of Euphoria. Think of usingEuphoria as more of a CodeProject for Euphoria.

-Greg

5. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

In my modified version of ed.ex, -- ESCAPE + D enables :: Euphoria Database System functions for databases and tables. Database menus options are scrolled through the top line menu bar using up/down arrow keys. Simply press enter to Select your choice Db operation. Db Menu feautures "DbSelect" (which also, opens or creates the Db, if needed). "Quit" - quits Db Menu mode. Any open Db will remain open unless closed with "DbClose" or "DbCloseAll", "DbClose", "DbCompress", "DbConnect", "DbDump", "Write_DbSelectCode", "TablesMenu", "TableSelect" Tables Menu: "Quit" - returns user to the top level DbMenu. "DbCloseAll" - DbCloseAll closes all open database(s) and exits the DbMenu mode, "DbMenu", "TableShowRecords", "TablesList", "TableRename", "TableClear", "TableDelete", "TableSelect" - selects or creates a table in the current Db. All open Db(s) are closed when the user quits the editor. The status of any/all open database(s) is easily determined from a Db "Banner" in the upper left hand corner of the screen:

-- {mydb.edb : table1: ##} ## = current table size   {opendb1, opendb2, etc}                                               
     --                                                                                
     -- { } { } -- no db open  

This is a simple system, but I have found it to be very useful.

I will post an upgraded version of edx, perhaps today or tomorrow.

Regards, Ken Rhodes

6. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

ghaberek said...

Now, I would suggest that this site maintain its own archive of sorts, but I won't, because I would actually like to maintain my own code repository on my recently adopted site that is still under development. Here is a blurb from that new site's not-quite-yet homepage:

usingEuphoria said...

This site is a place where you can find resources for learning and using Euphoria. We provide complete descriptive articles focused on learning by example. This offers a stronger learning opportunity than the content available in The Archive which, while comprehensive, is becoming more and more outdated with every new version of Euphoria. Think of usingEuphoria as more of a CodeProject for Euphoria.

-Greg

I think that the RDS site and the Archive are aging, and I'd be very happy to see usingeuphoria replace it.

7. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

jimcbrown said...

I think that the RDS site and the Archive are aging, and I'd be very happy to see usingeuphoria replace it.

So we end up creating a CEAN, like Perl has CPAN and TeX has CTAN? Would seem that the user base would need to expand a bit more before then.

8. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

bugmagnet said...
jimcbrown said...

So we end up creating a CEAN, like Perl has CPAN and TeX has CTAN?

Absolutely!

bugmagnet said...

Would seem that the user base would need to expand a bit more before then.

"If you build it, they will come."

9. Re: Which tool for Euphoria Database (EDS)

jimcbrown said...
bugmagnet said...
jimcbrown said...

So we end up creating a CEAN, like Perl has CPAN and TeX has CTAN?

Absolutely!

bugmagnet said...

Would seem that the user base would need to expand a bit more before then.

"If you build it, they will come."

Okay, well let's do some background reading: Wikipedia article about CPAN and The Zen of Comprehensive Archive Networks

10. Greg's site

ghaberek said...
useless_ said...

2. this really is a point to be brought up with Rob Craig since that is still his site

Now, I would suggest that this site maintain its own archive of sorts, but I won't, because I would actually like to maintain my own code repository on my recently adopted site that is still under development. -Greg

2. I need a password to log into it

What does it mean:

0 - DateTime::__construct(): Failed to parse time string (jerror) at position 0 (j): The timezone could not be found in the database 

useless

Forked into: usingEuphoria and The Archive

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu