1. debugger

Hi - I'm pretty new to euphoria and have a question on the debugger: I've used it before with no problem so don't really know what's going on. Anyway, does anyone know of some reasons why euphoria would leave debug mode? I have a routine which calls a subroutine. I turn the debugger on in my routine with the usual "with trace", and "trace(1)" - works fine. Goes into debug mode just like it's supposed to. Then I go past the call to my subroutine: it immediately comes out of debug mode and back to regular mode. WHY? I've tried putting "trace(1)'s" in the subroutine - doesn't do ANYTHING! What are all the obvious things that could make it behave this way - as I figure it must be something obvious that I am missing because I'm so new to the language! I can partially get around it by using plenty of write-to-screens, but this is very tedious, as you can imagine. I'm certainly doing something quite stupid, so I thought I'd post a question on general reasons why euphoria comes out of debug mode as a first step in correcting this.

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: debugger

eddo said...

Hi - I'm pretty new to euphoria and have a question on the debugger: I've used it before with no problem so don't really know what's going on. Anyway, does anyone know of some reasons why euphoria would leave debug mode? I have a routine which calls a subroutine. I turn the debugger on in my routine with the usual "with trace", and "trace(1)" - works fine. Goes into debug mode just like it's supposed to. Then I go past the call to my subroutine: it immediately comes out of debug mode and back to regular mode. WHY? I've tried putting "trace(1)'s" in the subroutine - doesn't do ANYTHING! What are all the obvious things that could make it behave this way - as I figure it must be something obvious that I am missing because I'm so new to the language! I can partially get around it by using plenty of write-to-screens, but this is very tedious, as you can imagine. I'm certainly doing something quite stupid, so I thought I'd post a question on general reasons why euphoria comes out of debug mode as a first step in correcting this.

Can you paste your source code?

One thing which comes to mind is that, at least in older versions of Euphoria, if you include a file, then add a 'with trace' after that line, then the included file will have tracing off (and you won't be able to trace any subroutines and such inside that file). This was actually a feature - so you could group your include statements and trace your own libraries to debug them but avoid tracing hundredds or thousands of lines of code in the standard library or in a stable third party library.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: debugger

jimcbrown said...

if you include a file, then add a 'with trace' after that line, then the included file will have tracing off

I think you meant "if you include a file that has 'without trace' at the top".

4. Re: debugger

eddo said...

Put "with trace" at the top of any file you wish to debug. You can then put trace(1) anywhere below that.

Once my "subroutines" are debugged, i remove the "with trace" from the top, and put it below the "subroutines", that way the debugger does not show the "subroutines" executing.

useless

5. Re: debugger

petelomax said...
jimcbrown said...

if you include a file, then add a 'with trace' after that line, then the included file will have tracing off

I think you meant "if you include a file that has 'without trace' at the top".

I did not. I meant....

include get.e 
with trace 
trace(1) 
? get(0) 

in which case you won't be able to trace get().

Both would cause the issue seen here.

6. Re: debugger

jimcbrown said...

I did not.

My bad.

Anyway, if I get something that won't trace I put a with trace just above the problem routine. A quick search of the Edita sources yielded 140 of them scattered about.

Pete

7. Re: debugger

petelomax said...
jimcbrown said...

I did not.

My bad.

No biggie.

petelomax said...

Anyway, if I get something that won't trace I put a with trace just above the problem routine. A quick search of the Edita sources yielded 140 of them scattered about.

Pete

Simple, yet sound advice.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu