1. Windows Mobile

I have not used Eu for a long time now but for a possible project I have a question... Is Windows Mobile (specifically 6.3) a supported platform?

I should add that I do not need any GUI front end - It would be used to read a barcode (using calls to external software) and send as an email.

Regards PeteS

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Windows Mobile

PeteS said...

I have not used Eu for a long time now but for a possible project I have a question... Is Windows Mobile (specifically 6.3) a supported platform?

I should add that I do not need any GUI front end - It would be used to read a barcode (using calls to external software) and send as an email.

Regards PeteS

Windows Mobile or Windows Phone?

Either way, it's highly unlikely; the former is long discontinued, and the latter (including Windows 8) only permits approved programs in approved programming languages by developers in approved countries for a fairly large fee (i.e., like iOS it's not an open platform).

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Windows Mobile

Sorry for the delay, home life got in the way.

It's for a Motorola industrial smartphone (ES400) running Windows mobile 6.3. We will be requesting a quote from Motorola themselves for providing the required app but since I am sure I could program it myself in Eu if the platform was supported I would have loved to have a go..

Regards PeteS

4. Re: Windows Mobile

PeteS said...

It's for a Motorola industrial smartphone (ES400) running Windows mobile 6.3. We will be requesting a quote from Motorola themselves for providing the required app but since I am sure I could program it myself in Eu if the platform was supported I would have loved to have a go..

Your options are mostly limited to either upgrading to a platform that isn't long obsolete* (such as Android, which could concievably run Eu apps), or write the application in a language supported by Win Mobile. (note, it probably wouldn't be impossible to port Eu to Win Mobile, but such work would have very limited use now)

Another option, that wouldn't apply in this case due to the need for hardware support, would be to code applications as web apps- these would run on any platform.

• I noted something rather curious here; the ES400 was released over half a year after the Windows Mobile platform was discontinued by Microsoft. It was obsolete well /before/ it hit the market.

5. Re: Windows Mobile

If you are primarily doing data capture via standard
user input controls (text, numeric, passwords, listbox, select box etc ...)
I would recommend JQuery Mobile + cordova (formerly PhoneGap), along
with Mobiscroll for date and time inputs.

I have this setup working as of now without any major difficulties.

It's not as fast as using native controls (I wrote the first iteration
using Java Android SDK) but JQM provides for cross platform compatibility via HTML5.

Also, if Windows Phone allows it, and if you need a performance boost I believe
that the ARM version of euphoria translates 'C' code without any platform specific
constraints, which in theory, should be able to compile as a shared library and
be callable via your app.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu