1. Euphoria programming paradigms

Based on this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multi-paradigm_programming_languages

I'm assuming that Euphoria is a multi-paradigm programming language.
But, how many paradigms and what are they?

Smudger

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

smudger said...

I would classify euphoria as an imperative language.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

smudger said...

Smudger

Not really. Euphoria is pretty much a single paradigm ... just imperative, which is also known as procedural.

That Wikipedia entry lists quite a number of recognized paradigms, so just follow their links to find out more.

4. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

DerekParnell said...

Not really. Euphoria is pretty much a single paradigm ... just imperative, which is also known as procedural.

That Wikipedia entry lists quite a number of recognized paradigms, so just follow their links to find out more.

And I hope the decision makers here will keep it Procedural and not turn it into an idiotic oop language.

5. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

Vinoba said...

And I hope the decision makers here will keep it Procedural and not turn it into an idiotic oop language.

While you may have things against OOP languages, doesn't mean that there isn't room for it. And while OOP can be added, imperative will always remain the "default" for Euphoria. No matter how hard you throw rocks at OOP, there are places where it works well, and there are places where it doesn't. All in the programming design that the programmer uses. I personally love OOP, while I understand it isn't the most... optimal for some, in all honesty, where one can see imperative design, I can see OO design. Apples to Oranges as they say.

6. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

Vinoba said...

Certainly not an idiotic one, but a sensible one. smile

But seriously, Euphoria coders will always be able to code their applications using the procedural style. However, sometime in the future there will be OOP facilities supported in Euphoria, but they will be optional.

7. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

Vinoba said...
DerekParnell said...

I asked for Matt's OOEU features to be added to Eu many years ago. I liked the way classes were done.

But i agree i generally do not like oops.

useless

8. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

Concerning Euphoria and OOP:

I have a Java background and think OOP can be cool if used where designing things OOP-style just makes sense ("a dog has a fur colour and knows how to bark" and so on). But I felt that sometimes OOP makes things more complicated than they ought to be, so I went looking for an alternative. I tried C, but didn't get really far: on the one hand the syntax is rather similar to Java which made it very easy to learn for me, but on the other hand it was cumbersome to get to know C-specific quirks and to find out about all the nuts and bolts in the Standard Template Library to really be able to make use of the language. That's where Euphoria stepped in. I have to read and program more to get the hang of things here because Euphoria does several things very different from other languages I know or have seen (e.g. data types), but it's totally okay and I like it that way.

I think OOP in Euphoria would be okay if it were done the "Euphoria way". I'd hate to see just another Java / C plus plus / Python clone.

9. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

kenny said...

Concerning Euphoria and OOP:

I have a Java background and think OOP can be cool if used where designing things OOP-style just makes sense ("a dog has a fur colour and knows how to bark" and so on). But I felt that sometimes OOP makes things more complicated than they ought to be, so I went looking for an alternative. ........

I think OOP in Euphoria would be okay if it were done the "Euphoria way". I'd hate to see just another Java / C plus plus / Python clone.

I read this interesting article and a lot of comments about OOP. I fully agree with the author Steve in his statement that OOP is really not worth all the trouble. It is interesting to note that most of the comments are in agreement with the author's statement on OOP.

http://www.hackinghat.com/index.php/programming/programming-like-its-1995

The current developers of euphoria would find it interesting.

10. Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

I've read almost nothing about this thread.
Let the crusades begin. Kill them infidels. ha ha ha ha.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu