Re: Euphoria programming paradigms

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Concerning Euphoria and OOP:

I have a Java background and think OOP can be cool if used where designing things OOP-style just makes sense ("a dog has a fur colour and knows how to bark" and so on). But I felt that sometimes OOP makes things more complicated than they ought to be, so I went looking for an alternative. I tried C, but didn't get really far: on the one hand the syntax is rather similar to Java which made it very easy to learn for me, but on the other hand it was cumbersome to get to know C-specific quirks and to find out about all the nuts and bolts in the Standard Template Library to really be able to make use of the language. That's where Euphoria stepped in. I have to read and program more to get the hang of things here because Euphoria does several things very different from other languages I know or have seen (e.g. data types), but it's totally okay and I like it that way.

I think OOP in Euphoria would be okay if it were done the "Euphoria way". I'd hate to see just another Java / C plus plus / Python clone.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu