1. Is there a REPL for U4ia?

How's that for working in a logo suggestion! :D

or U4 exponent ia

in an opened box? Something like that.

Anyway, Is there a REPL available as an add-on, to get the behaviour of Lisp, Perl etc, whereby U4ia expressions can be evaluated, without writing to a file and then interpreting the code. On-the-fly interpreter?

Duke

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

dukester said...

or U4 exponent ia

Anyway, Is there a REPL available as an add-on, to get the behaviour of Lisp, Perl etc, whereby U4ia expressions can be evaluated, without writing to a file and then interpreting the code. On-the-fly interpreter?

Duke

Barely understood anything in this post. Can you spell things out a bit more for us uninformed people.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

dukester said...

It hasn't really been maintained in some time, but OOEU could do this sort of thing:

http://ooeu.sourceforge.net/download.htm

Matt

4. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

dukester said...

Euphoria (U (You) 4 (For) ia (Ee-Uh)) is not an interactive interpreter at this point getlost I suppose it would be possible to write a REPL but it would have some severe limitations.

It would be a nice addition though.

Jeremy

5. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

mattlewis said...
dukester said...

It hasn't really been maintained in some time, but OOEU could do this sort of thing:

http://ooeu.sourceforge.net/download.htm

Thanks Matt! I vaguely remembered having once seen it or at least read about it. I'll give it a try. Much obliged!

Duke

6. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

jeremy said...
dukester said...

Euphoria (U (You) 4 (For) ia (Ee-Uh)) is not an interactive interpreter at this point getlost I suppose it would be possible to write a REPL but it would have some severe limitations.

Indeed, it would be a swell enhancement. Of course limitations are expected - after all, a REPL is not meant to be used to write production code. Having said that, it should be able to evaluate all U4ia expressions. Thanks.

Duke

7. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

@Matt

dnormandin@select-man:/Programming/Euphoria$ ooeu ooeu: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There's a dependency?

Duke

8. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

DerekParnell said...
dukester said...

or U4 exponent ia

Duke

Barely understood anything in this post. Can you spell things out a bit more for us uninformed people.

Just as you would write 24 raised to power of 3 to mean 24 x 24 x 24, he wants you to write as a logo

U4 (raised to as superscript) ia. It would be appealing to the younger generation.

9. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

Vinoba said...

U4 (raised to as superscript) ia. It would be appealing to the younger generation.

Thus U4ia would be okay?

10. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

DerekParnell said...
Vinoba said...

Thus U4ia would be okay?

You bet! Something like that; but with a little pizzass; a little more style; some color ... etc.

"ia" could also be a subscript.

Personnaly, I prefer shorter names for almost everything. My four kids' names were all 2 syllables. Most programming languages have 1 or 2 syllable names. Sounds better! Easier to remember. has a ring to it. U4ia would give that very impression, IMHO. I'm not a graphics designer, though. Could easily be made into an icon. Now what animal would "fit" with such an equation-like name like that, for a logo? Just a thought!

Duke

11. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

DerekParnell said...
Vinoba said...

Thus U4ia would be okay?

Just my $.02:

YUCK! X 1,000,0001,000,000

Dan

12. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

Also was thinking of:

{ u4ia }

in color, and stylized

The brackets could be shimmering gold as if reflecting solar light.
The space in between the brackets could evoke something like the Northern Lights, e.g.
and the u4ia could appear to be floating in this "galactic programming utopia" :D

Duke

13. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

dukester said...

...I prefer shorter names for almost everything...

I like syllables, but "Euphoria" doesn't sound like a programming language. I simply call it "End-User Programming with Hierarchical Objects for Robust Interpreted Applications." The name "Robert Craig Interpreter with Sequences" is also appealing. Either or both of these should fit nicely into a logo.

14. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

dukester said...

Also was thinking of:

{ u4ia }

in color, and stylized

The brackets could be shimmering gold as if reflecting solar light.
The space in between the brackets could evoke something like the Northern Lights, e.g.
and the u4ia could appear to be floating in this "galactic programming utopia" :D

Duke

It's interesting and compact. But, for non-english speakers, that is a cryptographic symbol. For example, in Portuguese, "u4" is pronunciated as "u(oo) quatro (kwahtro)". In several languages the meaning of word "Euphoria" is written similarly but with a different pronunciation (euforia). Also, Euphoria file extensions and tools are based in the letters "Eu".

- Fernando

15. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

said...

{ u4ia }

Ok, my euphoric contribution:

{ u4ia } = Used For Incredible Applications

or, translated to any other language:

{ English centric } = Not World-Ready

My $ 0,02ia

16. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

I merely explained what the author was trying to say

"u4" + a superscript of "1A" I suppose 1A could be interpreted as decimal 26, so it would be u4 raised to 26. Imaginative, but a but far fetched for the ordinary person to understand.

Anyway, it is 1. too mathematical 2. too "English"

I recall the days when the Japanese were trying to take over the world consumer goods market and they literally invented or promoted the picture system for commands - something we are all used to in our daily lives. The logo for Euphoria should be a picture which would convey the meaning of a powerful software and also make people "Euphoric" when they look at the logo.

The original developer of Euphoria was bold enough to write Euphoria in Assembler, in the days when people were going over to Linux and C language. It is a pity that he changed to C. However, the impact of Assembler and its speed is still there although dwindling a bit.

Having said that, I personally cannot come up with the logo I would like to promote

17. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

nanochip said...
said...

{ u4ia }

My $ 0,02ia

While I don't really like the U4ia spelling or representation - I prefer the traditional "Euphoria" - I do like the "Used For Incredible Applications" that you got from it.

18. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

Apparently the word "euphoria" derives from the greek, and has the connotation of:
"bearing up well"
"being able to endure something with ease, or comfort"
"feeling healthy and comfortable"

I find these meanings appealing, and relevant to Euphoria because:
it bears up well (is solid and reliable) when used for various different programming tasks
it results in programs that are durable (maintainable)
a programmer can feel comfortable and at ease with it (unlike the anxiety one feels with C, for example)

My preference would be to highlight these qualities in a logo, or motto, or banner...

Alex Caracatsanis

19. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

jaygade said...
nanochip said...
said...

{ u4ia }

My $ 0,02ia

While I don't really like the U4ia spelling or representation - I prefer the traditional "Euphoria" - I do like the "Used For Incredible Applications" that you got from it.

It's geeky; it's cryptic; it's for English speakers...
I'd buy it! (but then I would, wouldn't I?) blink

http://i54.tinypic.com/r2uhph.jpg

Cheers,
Smudger

20. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

smudger said...
jaygade said...
nanochip said...
said...

{ u4ia }

My $ 0,02ia

Cheers,
Smudger

Like the shirt ... Used ForIncredible Applications

21. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

@Smudger

I like the T-shirt. I would drop the OpenEuphoria. That can be alluded to in the docs somewhere. I would have the background of the logo/icon more "shimmering"; more "galactic" looking - something like Apples's OS X splash-screen. IMO, this visual stimuli might conger up an idea of euphoria! Some background that would say, "I've just died, and gone to heaven" using U4ia. MAybe you have that already, but it's not showing up in the image. Nice work!

Duke

22. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

smudger said...
jaygade said...
nanochip said...
said...

{ u4ia }

My $ 0,02ia

Cheers,
Smudger

the logo in the back looks like a stylized swastika

23. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

heber said...

Damn, you noticed. It looked even worse before I modded it. Obviously didn't get away with it then!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2s9wqcy.jpg

s/slghtly/slightly

Regards,
Smudger

24. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

smudger said...
heber said...

Damn, you noticed. It looked even worse before I modded it. Obviously didn't get away with it then!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2s9wqcy.jpg

s/slghtly/slightly

Regards,
Smudger

could you make the last one look more like a sun?

although it looks ok that way too

25. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

heber said...

could you make the last one look more like a sun?

although it looks ok that way too

Like this:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2aion6q.jpg

or like this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5LMq-on8XkQ/Sck-H9IcKSI/AAAAAAAAAas/S581ZccQnPA/s320/sun_logo.gif

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring back to Dukesters comment?

Dukester said...

I would have the background of the logo/icon more "shimmering"; more "galactic" looking - something like Apples's OS X splash-screen. IMO, this visual stimuli might conger up an idea of euphoria! Some background that would say, "I've just died, and gone to heaven" using U4ia.

Smudger

26. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

@Smudger

what I meant was something like:

http://www.resourcesforlife.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/20091112th-apple-default-startup-login-screen-DefaultDesktop-300x187.jpg

for a background. Choose your colors! Make it look euphoric! Out-of-this-world! Just died, and gone to heaven!
and in the foreground have u4ia; or something to that effect. What you think?

Duke

27. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

smudger said...

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring back to Dukesters comment?

Dukester said...

I would have the background of the logo/icon more "shimmering"; more "galactic" looking - something like Apples's OS X splash-screen. IMO, this visual stimuli might conger up an idea of euphoria! Some background that would say, "I've just died, and gone to heaven" using U4ia.

Smudger

no something like this...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o3hmIq8a18E/S_tyxOvlTdI/AAAAAAAAAFI/MGyZsfAh-zI/s400/Sol+%285%29.jpg

seriously though.

I like the idea of putting a ideogram in the background, and using the braces to do the logo is a good idea too; the only problem being the resemblance to a swastika, so if it could be made to resemble a sun instead i think it would look good and would not risk offending somebody or having problems with some country's laws

28. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

@heber and dukester.

The thing about both your design ideas is that they would need to be digitally printed. I personally am not a fan of digital printed tee shirts because the text does not come out as well as on a vector design.

However, it's early days. I guess we'll see how we get on with the basic designs and a merchandising plan in general. If I do knock this design up as a raster image, you could have this design made as a one off at spreadshirt.com

As regards the "swastika", that was something I just did for that one t-shirt design and (if it ever gets used in anger), the 5-pointed "fishes" version will be used. I'm glad someone spotted it straight away; I didn't realise it was so obvious.

Regards,
Smudger

29. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2hwfyww.jpg

Smudger

30. Re: Is there a REPL for U4ia?

jeremy said...
dukester said...

Jeremy

There is e! (see http://www.RapidEuphoria.com/e!.zip )

It will not run on Euphoria 2.5 or any newer version.

It has the interesting limitation that all routines and variables and constants must be declared global to use them.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu