1. request for feature

When an interpreted euphoria program (that is, not an exe or dll) halts with an error, can it please completely let go of filesystem resources before displaying the error screen? Winxp reports an intrepreted eui v4b4 app which crashes while files are open still owns the opened files until the dos box is closed. This means the errant file cannot be opened for inspection by another app until the dos box is closed.

useless

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: request for feature

useless said...

When an interpreted euphoria program (that is, not an exe or dll) halts with an error, can it please completely let go of filesystem resources before displaying the error screen? Winxp reports an intrepreted eui v4b4 app which crashes while files are open still owns the opened files until the dos box is closed. This means the errant file cannot be opened for inspection by another app until the dos box is closed.

useless

I assume you are using the 'euiw' edition of the interpreter.

In any case, I can't reproduce the problem. I can get a program to error and halt, as you say, but the files that the failing program has open are still able to be opened (for reading) by other applications.

What is the application that you are using to inspect the open files with?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: request for feature

I've noticed resources are held when there is a pause on error. you can use the -BATCH commandline option to eui to get around this.

4. Re: request for feature

ne1uno said...

I've noticed resources are held when there is a pause on error. you can use the -BATCH commandline option to eui to get around this.

Just to clarify, the -BATCH option avoids the automatic pause happening, and it works for both eui and euiw.

So if you need the pause but also need the resources to be freed you might still have a problem.

5. Re: request for feature

DerekParnell said...
useless said...

useless

I assume you are using the 'euiw' edition of the interpreter.

"intrepreted eui v4b4"

DerekParnell said...

In any case, I can't reproduce the problem. I can get a program to error and halt, as you say, but the files that the failing program has open are still able to be opened (for reading) by other applications.

What is the application that you are using to inspect the open files with?

Textpad to open, Explorer to delete, rename, or move.

useless

6. Re: request for feature

useless said...

"intrepreted eui v4b4"

Sorry, I got confused when you mentioned 'dos box' because the eui edition doesn't have a 'dos box' to be closed, but the euiw does have one.

useless said...

Does Textpad open the file for reading okay?

I'm not sure why deleting/ renaming/ moving would be an issue, because your application has failed so you may as well 'press enter' or use the -batch option, before doing any of those operations.

Why is the current behaviour a problem?

7. Re: request for feature

DerekParnell said...
useless said...

"intrepreted eui v4b4"

Sorry, I got confused when you mentioned 'dos box' because the eui edition doesn't have a 'dos box' to be closed, but the euiw does have one.

useless said...

Does Textpad open the file for reading okay?

I'm not sure why deleting/ renaming/ moving would be an issue, because your application has failed so you may as well 'press enter' or use the -batch option, before doing any of those operations.

Why is the current behaviour a problem?

Textpad works fine.

Pressing enter removes debug info from the screen.

Explaining it is more of a problem to me than living with the crashed app tying up resources. Nevermind.

useless

8. Re: request for feature

useless said...

Textpad works fine.

Pressing enter removes debug info from the screen.

Explaining it is more of a problem to me than living with the crashed app tying up resources. Nevermind.

I shall mind.

I'm not trying to dismiss your issue; I'm trying to better understand it. You see, I also use Euphoria every day and I've never run into the problem you mention so I was curious to find out what was the actually problem being caused by Euphoria's current behaviour.

For me, when one of my programs crash, I just 'press enter' and then in a text editor open the ex.err file to read the debug info. For me, this is much more convenient than scrolling up/down the console window etc ... but for you this is obviously not the better method.

Because changing the behaviour of Euphoria is a big thing (we are trying only to do bug fixes right now), such change needs to be worth the effort and have no side effects. So, the more information you can give us, the better we can judge when we can implement your request.

9. Re: request for feature

useless said...

I shall mind.

I've uploaded to SVN a patch (rev 3412) to repair this behaviour.

Now, whenever a program is finishing, due to a crash or otherwise, it closes all user-opened files (except 0, 1, and 2) first. This occurs just before any 'press enter' message appears.

10. Re: request for feature

DerekParnell said...
useless said...

I shall mind.

I've uploaded to SVN a patch (rev 3412) to repair this behaviour.

Now, whenever a program is finishing, due to a crash or otherwise, it closes all user-opened files (except 0, 1, and 2) first. This occurs just before any 'press enter' message appears.

Thankyou very much Derek. This will be one of the rare files i install the instant i hear of it being available, when will this appear in the downloadable exe/zip/rar/bz2/etc file for windows?

useless

11. Re: request for feature

useless said...

... when will this appear in the downloadable exe/zip/rar/bz2/etc file for windows?

Now appearing at http://www.derekparnell.id.au/eu4.zip (2,534,820 bytes)

This contains three files:

eu_svn.3412    :: The Subversion revision number for these files. 
eu_bin.zip     :: The Windows binaries 
eu_inc.zip     :: The include files. 

12. Re: request for feature

DerekParnell said...
useless said...

... when will this appear in the downloadable exe/zip/rar/bz2/etc file for windows?

Now appearing at http://www.derekparnell.id.au/eu4.zip (2,534,820 bytes)

wow, thanks lots, Derek!

I have it up and running now!

useless

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu