1. ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

The new switch syntax has been implemented. The new default is "without fallthru", but can be changed with either "with fallthru" or with a new "fallthru" keyword at the end of a case. Until a new version of the docs are posted, take a look at the source, especially in tests/t_switch.e for examples. Also, the colon is out, and "then" is in. Mulitple cases should be aggregated into a single case statement separated by commas:

case 1,2,"a" then 

If you build from source, you can't just update to the head and expect everything to work, because the front end uses switches. So you'll need to either wait for eubins to be posted, or follow this upgrade path:

1. Update to r1631 and build / install
  2. Update to r1634 and build / install

Then you're up to date, as far as switches go, and further updates after that shouldn't be a problem, unless there's some other breaking changes made.

Matt

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

mattlewis said...

If you build from source, you can't just update to the head and expect everything to work, because the front end uses switches. So you'll need to either wait for eubins to be posted, or follow this upgrade path:

Then you're up to date, as far as switches go, and further updates after that shouldn't be a problem, unless there's some other breaking changes made.

Sorry, too quick on the announcement. Instead of r1634, the "good" version is r1635.

2. Update to r1635 and build / install

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

mattlewis said...

The new switch syntax has been implemented. The new default is "without fallthru", but can be changed with either "with fallthru" or with a new "fallthru" keyword at the end of a case. Until a new version of the docs are posted, take a look at the source, especially in tests/t_switch.e for examples. Also, the colon is out, and "then" is in. Mulitple cases should be aggregated into a single case statement separated by commas:

case 1,2,"a" then 

2. Update to r1635 and build / install -- corrected this SVN number bernie

Matt:

I don't understand your instructions ?

Does the word 'head' mean trunk ?

Are you saying update to SVN 1631 and build binaries.

Now what do you mean by install ????

What is purpose of updating SVN 1635 and building binaries ????

I know you understand perfectly what your instructions are trying to accomplish but the instructions have no detailed purpose.

Remember everyone's system may not be setup the same way your is.

4. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

bernie said...

Matt:

I don't understand your instructions ?

Does the word 'head' mean trunk ?

Are you saying update to SVN 1631 and build binaries.

What is purpose of updating SVN 1635 and building binaries ????

I know you understand perfectly what your instructions are trying to accomplish but the instructions have no detailed purpose.

Remember everyone's system may not be setup the same way your is.

Bernie,

Do you use SVN to access the latest sources of Euphoria? If so, then your sources are exactly the same as Matts. I do not know how to do it in GUI land, but on the command line, what Matt says we have to do is:

C:\Euphoria > svn up -r 1631     -- update the current source to revision 1631. 
C:\Euphoria > cd source 
C:\Euphoria\source > wmake /f makefile.wat 
C:\Euphoria\source > copy *.exe ..\bin 
C:\Euphoria\source > copy *.lib ..\bin 
C:\Euphoria\source > cd .. 

Then repeat the above steps for revision 1635.

Jeremy

5. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

mattlewis said...

case 1,2,"a" then 

I was away. I am working on eubins right now.

As soon as I get updated myself, I'll post new docs.

Jeremy

6. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

Windows, Linux and FreeBSD eubins are now online.

http://jeremy.cowgar.com/eubins/

I am working on SunOS and OS X now. I will also be uploading docs very soon.

Oh, this release has one other breaking change!

while 10 entry do 

is no longer valid. This has been harmonized to use the with keyword. Previous versions of Eu on SVN have supported the new syntax for some time now... The new syntax is:

while 10 with entry do 

Jeremy

7. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

jeremy said...

Do you use SVN to access the latest sources of Euphoria? If so, then your sources are exactly the same as Matts. I do not know how to do it in GUI land, but on the command line, what Matt says we have to do is:

C:\Euphoria > svn up -r 1631     -- update the current source to revision 1631. 
C:\Euphoria > cd source 
C:\Euphoria\source > wmake /f makefile.wat 
C:\Euphoria\source > copy *.exe ..\bin 
C:\Euphoria\source > copy *.lib ..\bin 
C:\Euphoria\source > cd .. 

Then repeat the above steps for revision 1635.

Yeah, I assume that if you're doing all that, you'll be using the makefile. Here's what I do:

C:\euphoria\development\rds\source\> wmake -f makefile.wat winall testwin installwin 
I generally don't build DOS, but the makefile takes care of building, testing and installing for me.

Matt

8. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

I can't build anything to work because I get this error so I can not bring binaries up to SVN 1631 :

I think the developers should slow down and not be so much in a hurry and do things one step at a time.

Your breaking too many thing at once

said...

screen dump SVN 1630

1 file(s) copied. 
Open Watcom Make Version 1.8 
Portions Copyright (c) 1988-2002 Sybase, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 
Source code is available under the Sybase Open Watcom Public License. 
See http://www.openwatcom.org/ for details. 
------- ALL ----------- 
        wmake -h -f makefile.wat winall DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM= CONFIG=config.wat 
------- WINALL ----------- 
wmake -h -f makefile.wat interpreter DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM= CONFIG=config.wat 
------- VERSION.E ----------- 
------- VERSION.H ----------- 
wmake -h -f makefile.wat E:\eu_master\source\intobj\main-.c EX=e:\eu_master\bin\ 
exwc.exe EU_TARGET=int. OBJDIR=intobj DEBUG= MANAGED_MEM= CONFIG=config.wat DEBU 
G= MANAGED_MEM= 
mkdir E:\eu_master\source\intobj 
mkdir E:\eu_master\source\intobj\back 
e:\eu_master\bin\exwc.exe -i ..\include revget.ex 
E:\eu_master\source\..\include\std/sequence.e:1459 
Syntax error - expected to see possibly 'do', not 'with' 
        while startpos != 0 with entry do 
                                ^ 

Press Enter 

9. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

bernie said...

I can't build anything to work because I get this error so I can not bring binaries up to SVN 1631 :

Syntax error - expected to see possibly 'do', not 'with' while startpos != 0 with entry do

Weird. 1630 should have support for "with entry". Are you sure your binaries are new enough for that?

Jeremy released eubins for windows (and I hope DOS) for 1636 now, so you can just get those and build the latest svn without having to go thru any steps.

10. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

bernie said...

I think the developers should slow down and not be so much in a hurry and do things one step at a time.

with entry has been supported since SVN 1554. Also, it may be best to break things once, i.e. this upgrade, so that we don't have to fix something every upgrade.

To get around your problem, do a svn up -r 1554 or a bit later, compile/install. Then your interpreter will support with entry. Or, you can download a eubin which is available for all platforms, grab the latest, I think 1638.

Jeremy

11. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

bernie said...

Remember, Bernie... it's ALPHA! smile

If you don't want breakage, don't use ALPHA code!

12. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

euphoric said...
bernie said...

Remember, Bernie... it's ALPHA! smile

If you don't want breakage, don't use ALPHA code!

I am already using SVN 1649 and have converted my code over to the new switch code.

13. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

bernie said...

I am already using SVN 1649 and have converted my code over to the new switch code.

Bernie,

Thanks for the patience. This was going to break stuff regardless, and living at the head of the repository is always bleeding edge. The source changes to use the new syntax were actually fairly minimal, and it seemed better to just get all this out of the way and done, rather than dragging it out.

Matt

14. Re: ATTN Euphoria 4.0 users/testers

mattlewis said...
bernie said...

Bernie,

Thanks for the patience. This was going to break stuff regardless, and living at the head of the repository is always bleeding edge. The source changes to use the new syntax were actually fairly minimal, and it seemed better to just get all this out of the way and done, rather than dragging it out.

Matt

Matt:

I put error report on SF about the ex.err flashing on the screen using exw.exe on win98 without a pausing. But it seems to just happen with certain errors like a missing 'then' in a switch case statement.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu